Oct 2, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
Potter was 27 years old going into the 2011-12 campaign and had only played in nine NHL games to that point. He had already spent four seasons with Michigan State University and another five campaigns playing primarily in the minors.
He finally got his big break with the Edmonton Oilers last season and ended up with 21 points in 62 contests. He led all Oilers blueliners in power-play minutes.
Halfway through his breakout campaign, Potter was rewarded with a two-year, $1.55 million extension. That contract was set to begin this season.
He will compete against Buffalo’s Thomas Vanek, has signed with Graz 99ers of the same league.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)