Oct 1, 2012, 6:46 PM EDT
With the lockout now threatening the regular season, New Jersey US Senators Frank Lautenberg and Robert Menendez wrote a letter to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and NHLPA boss Donald Fehr urging them to negotiate a new CBA, according to the Bergen Record.
The Senators state that the “cancellation of the preseason will negatively affect workers, businesses, and families in our state, and a failure to resolve this dispute in time for the regular season would impose an even greater hardship.”
They added that the a canceled NHL season could result in “millions of dollars in lost economic activity” in Newark and it could leave people out of work “when our state unemployment rate is already at a 30-year high.”
They also argued that other NHL cities will face similar hardships in the event of a lost hockey season.
“As you consider your next steps, we encourage you to keep in mind the communities, workers and families that would be hurt by a further disruption in the season,” the letter urges Bettman and Fehr.
It concludes with, “Businesses, workers and hockey fans played no role in causing this dispute, and it is unfair for them to have to bear this burden. The Senate has jurisdiction over interstate commercial activities, including professional sports, and will keep a close eye on your negotiations with hope that you will work diligently and quickly to resolve this matter.”
Meanwhile the league and union will resume their CBA negotiations on Tuesday, but they will continue to avoid the critical issue of the division of hockey-related revenue. Instead, they will focus on the definition of HRR.
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 0
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 44
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)