Oct 1, 2012, 10:42 AM EDT
Claude Giroux has his sights set on playing in Europe during the lockout. He just isn’t sure which league he’ll join.
That’s the word from the Courier-Post’s Dave Isaac, who reports the Flyers star has narrowed down his choices to the KHL or Czech Extraliga.
According to Isaac, Giroux’s agent said he’s in discussions with “many teams” about his client’s future — but whispers suggest it’ll either be Avangard Omsk or Kladno, the team owned by Jaromir Jagr.
Avangard has reportedly been in talks to acquire Giroux for some time, according to Russian News outlet Sports-Express. The club has already secured the services of a locked-out NHLer — Columbus’ Nikita Nikitin — and is loaded with ex-NHLers like Alexander Perezhogin, Karri Ramo, Anssi Salmela, Alexander Frolov and Martin Skoula.
Kladno is also no slouch when it comes to employing current and former NHLers — Tomas Kaberle, Tomas Plekanec, Marek Zidlicky, Jiri Tlusty, Jiri Bicek, Jan Hlavac, Ivan Majesky and Pavel Patera all currently suit up for the team — and is a frontrunner because of the relationship between Giroux and Jagr.
That said, the Jagr link also applies to Avangard. That’s where No. 68 played for three seasons before returning to North America in 2011.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)