Oct 1, 2012, 9:40 PM EDT
Over the past couple of days we’ve been touching on some young players that will get the opportunity to grow during the lockout by getting lots of playing time and a chance to work on their game in the AHL.
In the case of Cody Hodgson, the big question is if an extended lockout would have a similar impact on him as it did with Jason Spezza and Eric Staal, who both broke out in 2005-06 after successful AHL campaigns during the last work stoppage.
“It’s something that every single guy in our locker room looks around and says, ‘Wouldn’t it be cool to end up like them,’” said Sabres forward Corey Tropp in a Toronto Sun report. “Obviously you have to put in the work, but it’s motivation. This is an opportunity to keep developing your game. You’ve got that window of time to make an impression. Some guys are sitting at home waiting for (the lockout) to end and I’m fortunate to be playing.”
For his part, Hodgson isn’t dwelling on the future. Instead, he’s simply “excited to get back into a competitive atmosphere.”
Although we have no doubt he’d rather be gearing up for the NHL season right now, as long as the lockout continues, he will be one of the biggest names in the AHL.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 17
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 108
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 78
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (108)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (78)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)