Oct 1, 2012, 9:40 PM EDT
Over the past couple of days we’ve been touching on some young players that will get the opportunity to grow during the lockout by getting lots of playing time and a chance to work on their game in the AHL.
In the case of Cody Hodgson, the big question is if an extended lockout would have a similar impact on him as it did with Jason Spezza and Eric Staal, who both broke out in 2005-06 after successful AHL campaigns during the last work stoppage.
“It’s something that every single guy in our locker room looks around and says, ‘Wouldn’t it be cool to end up like them,’” said Sabres forward Corey Tropp in a Toronto Sun report. “Obviously you have to put in the work, but it’s motivation. This is an opportunity to keep developing your game. You’ve got that window of time to make an impression. Some guys are sitting at home waiting for (the lockout) to end and I’m fortunate to be playing.”
For his part, Hodgson isn’t dwelling on the future. Instead, he’s simply “excited to get back into a competitive atmosphere.”
Although we have no doubt he’d rather be gearing up for the NHL season right now, as long as the lockout continues, he will be one of the biggest names in the AHL.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)