Oct 1, 2012, 9:40 PM EDT
Over the past couple of days we’ve been touching on some young players that will get the opportunity to grow during the lockout by getting lots of playing time and a chance to work on their game in the AHL.
In the case of Cody Hodgson, the big question is if an extended lockout would have a similar impact on him as it did with Jason Spezza and Eric Staal, who both broke out in 2005-06 after successful AHL campaigns during the last work stoppage.
“It’s something that every single guy in our locker room looks around and says, ‘Wouldn’t it be cool to end up like them,’” said Sabres forward Corey Tropp in a Toronto Sun report. “Obviously you have to put in the work, but it’s motivation. This is an opportunity to keep developing your game. You’ve got that window of time to make an impression. Some guys are sitting at home waiting for (the lockout) to end and I’m fortunate to be playing.”
For his part, Hodgson isn’t dwelling on the future. Instead, he’s simply “excited to get back into a competitive atmosphere.”
Although we have no doubt he’d rather be gearing up for the NHL season right now, as long as the lockout continues, he will be one of the biggest names in the AHL.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)