Oct 1, 2012, 9:40 PM EST
Over the past couple of days we’ve been touching on some young players that will get the opportunity to grow during the lockout by getting lots of playing time and a chance to work on their game in the AHL.
In the case of Cody Hodgson, the big question is if an extended lockout would have a similar impact on him as it did with Jason Spezza and Eric Staal, who both broke out in 2005-06 after successful AHL campaigns during the last work stoppage.
“It’s something that every single guy in our locker room looks around and says, ‘Wouldn’t it be cool to end up like them,’” said Sabres forward Corey Tropp in a Toronto Sun report. “Obviously you have to put in the work, but it’s motivation. This is an opportunity to keep developing your game. You’ve got that window of time to make an impression. Some guys are sitting at home waiting for (the lockout) to end and I’m fortunate to be playing.”
For his part, Hodgson isn’t dwelling on the future. Instead, he’s simply “excited to get back into a competitive atmosphere.”
Although we have no doubt he’d rather be gearing up for the NHL season right now, as long as the lockout continues, he will be one of the biggest names in the AHL.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)