Oct 1, 2012, 9:40 PM EST
Over the past couple of days we’ve been touching on some young players that will get the opportunity to grow during the lockout by getting lots of playing time and a chance to work on their game in the AHL.
In the case of Cody Hodgson, the big question is if an extended lockout would have a similar impact on him as it did with Jason Spezza and Eric Staal, who both broke out in 2005-06 after successful AHL campaigns during the last work stoppage.
“It’s something that every single guy in our locker room looks around and says, ‘Wouldn’t it be cool to end up like them,’” said Sabres forward Corey Tropp in a Toronto Sun report. “Obviously you have to put in the work, but it’s motivation. This is an opportunity to keep developing your game. You’ve got that window of time to make an impression. Some guys are sitting at home waiting for (the lockout) to end and I’m fortunate to be playing.”
For his part, Hodgson isn’t dwelling on the future. Instead, he’s simply “excited to get back into a competitive atmosphere.”
Although we have no doubt he’d rather be gearing up for the NHL season right now, as long as the lockout continues, he will be one of the biggest names in the AHL.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 1
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 56
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)