Oct 1, 2012, 4:33 PM EDT
Unable to secure an NHL contract prior to the lockout, Cody Frason has found a deal in Sweden
Today, Franson signed with reigning Swedish Elite League champion Brynas IF, a deal that was first reported to be a full season in length but, according to the Toronto Sun’s Terry Koshan, will allow Franson to return to North America should the lockout end.
The 25-year-old RFA found himself in contractual limbo after failing to re-up with the Leafs prior to the CBA expiring on Sept. 15. Unlike other young RFA blueliners that entered the lockout without a contract (Michael Del Zotto, P.K. Subban), Franson wasn’t a major piece of his team’s defense last year, appearing in just 57 games.
That said, he told the Sun he wanted to sign a deal to come back to the Leafs and make his mark.
“You hoped to have it done before, and now you hope to have it done soon after this is resolved,” Franson said of his contract. “For me, it’s a matter of making sure I’m in the best shape, ready to step in and play well right off the bat, put my stamp on things.
“I wasn’t happy with my season last year and the way things went.”
A former third round pick, Franson looked to be a bright up-and-coming blueliner with Nashville, scoring 50 points in his first 141 games at the NHL level. In 2011, he tied for the Preds lead in playoff scoring among blueliners.
He was dealt to Toronto last July with Matthew Lombardi, in exchange for Brett Lebda and Robert Slaney.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 10
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 4
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)