Oct 1, 2012, 4:33 PM EST
Unable to secure an NHL contract prior to the lockout, Cody Frason has found a deal in Sweden
Today, Franson signed with reigning Swedish Elite League champion Brynas IF, a deal that was first reported to be a full season in length but, according to the Toronto Sun’s Terry Koshan, will allow Franson to return to North America should the lockout end.
The 25-year-old RFA found himself in contractual limbo after failing to re-up with the Leafs prior to the CBA expiring on Sept. 15. Unlike other young RFA blueliners that entered the lockout without a contract (Michael Del Zotto, P.K. Subban), Franson wasn’t a major piece of his team’s defense last year, appearing in just 57 games.
That said, he told the Sun he wanted to sign a deal to come back to the Leafs and make his mark.
“You hoped to have it done before, and now you hope to have it done soon after this is resolved,” Franson said of his contract. “For me, it’s a matter of making sure I’m in the best shape, ready to step in and play well right off the bat, put my stamp on things.
“I wasn’t happy with my season last year and the way things went.”
A former third round pick, Franson looked to be a bright up-and-coming blueliner with Nashville, scoring 50 points in his first 141 games at the NHL level. In 2011, he tied for the Preds lead in playoff scoring among blueliners.
He was dealt to Toronto last July with Matthew Lombardi, in exchange for Brett Lebda and Robert Slaney.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)