Oct 1, 2012, 4:33 PM EDT
Unable to secure an NHL contract prior to the lockout, Cody Frason has found a deal in Sweden
Today, Franson signed with reigning Swedish Elite League champion Brynas IF, a deal that was first reported to be a full season in length but, according to the Toronto Sun’s Terry Koshan, will allow Franson to return to North America should the lockout end.
The 25-year-old RFA found himself in contractual limbo after failing to re-up with the Leafs prior to the CBA expiring on Sept. 15. Unlike other young RFA blueliners that entered the lockout without a contract (Michael Del Zotto, P.K. Subban), Franson wasn’t a major piece of his team’s defense last year, appearing in just 57 games.
That said, he told the Sun he wanted to sign a deal to come back to the Leafs and make his mark.
“You hoped to have it done before, and now you hope to have it done soon after this is resolved,” Franson said of his contract. “For me, it’s a matter of making sure I’m in the best shape, ready to step in and play well right off the bat, put my stamp on things.
“I wasn’t happy with my season last year and the way things went.”
A former third round pick, Franson looked to be a bright up-and-coming blueliner with Nashville, scoring 50 points in his first 141 games at the NHL level. In 2011, he tied for the Preds lead in playoff scoring among blueliners.
He was dealt to Toronto last July with Matthew Lombardi, in exchange for Brett Lebda and Robert Slaney.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)