Oct 1, 2012, 5:02 PM EDT
How the mighty have fallen.
It wasn’t always this way for the 26-year-old rearguard. The former WHL Medicine Hat standout scored 40 points in 68 games for Chicago during the 2008-09 campaign and parlayed that into a three-year, $9.25 million deal.
But after Chicago traded Barker to Minnesota for Kim Johnsson and Nick Leddy, things started to go south.
Injuries and erratic play limited him to just 71 games over two seasons with Minnesota and he was placed on waivers 15 months after being acquired. That didn’t stop Edmonton from rolling the dice, though, as the Oilers gave Barker a one-year, $2.25 million deal in July 2011.
Things with the Oilers went much like they did with the Wild. Described by the Edmonton Journal as injury-riddled and error-prone, Barker only appeared in 23 games and wasn’t given a qualifying offer this past June.
Now, he’s trying to work his way back via a professional tryout offer from Dallas’ minor league affiliate.
While these might seem like tough times for ol’ Cam, don’t shed too many tears. According to the Chicago Tribune, he recently sold his three-bedroom condo for $1.085 million, so he’s probably a ways away from existing solely on ramen noodles.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 2
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 12
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 63
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (67)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)