Oct 1, 2012, 5:02 PM EST
How the mighty have fallen.
It wasn’t always this way for the 26-year-old rearguard. The former WHL Medicine Hat standout scored 40 points in 68 games for Chicago during the 2008-09 campaign and parlayed that into a three-year, $9.25 million deal.
But after Chicago traded Barker to Minnesota for Kim Johnsson and Nick Leddy, things started to go south.
Injuries and erratic play limited him to just 71 games over two seasons with Minnesota and he was placed on waivers 15 months after being acquired. That didn’t stop Edmonton from rolling the dice, though, as the Oilers gave Barker a one-year, $2.25 million deal in July 2011.
Things with the Oilers went much like they did with the Wild. Described by the Edmonton Journal as injury-riddled and error-prone, Barker only appeared in 23 games and wasn’t given a qualifying offer this past June.
Now, he’s trying to work his way back via a professional tryout offer from Dallas’ minor league affiliate.
While these might seem like tough times for ol’ Cam, don’t shed too many tears. According to the Chicago Tribune, he recently sold his three-bedroom condo for $1.085 million, so he’s probably a ways away from existing solely on ramen noodles.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 10
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)