Oct 1, 2012, 5:02 PM EDT
How the mighty have fallen.
It wasn’t always this way for the 26-year-old rearguard. The former WHL Medicine Hat standout scored 40 points in 68 games for Chicago during the 2008-09 campaign and parlayed that into a three-year, $9.25 million deal.
But after Chicago traded Barker to Minnesota for Kim Johnsson and Nick Leddy, things started to go south.
Injuries and erratic play limited him to just 71 games over two seasons with Minnesota and he was placed on waivers 15 months after being acquired. That didn’t stop Edmonton from rolling the dice, though, as the Oilers gave Barker a one-year, $2.25 million deal in July 2011.
Things with the Oilers went much like they did with the Wild. Described by the Edmonton Journal as injury-riddled and error-prone, Barker only appeared in 23 games and wasn’t given a qualifying offer this past June.
Now, he’s trying to work his way back via a professional tryout offer from Dallas’ minor league affiliate.
While these might seem like tough times for ol’ Cam, don’t shed too many tears. According to the Chicago Tribune, he recently sold his three-bedroom condo for $1.085 million, so he’s probably a ways away from existing solely on ramen noodles.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)