Oct 1, 2012, 4:17 PM EDT
Oh, social media. What wonders you work.
According to an article from the Sports Business Journal, the controversial interview given by Detroit Senior Vice President Jim Devellano — one that got the Wings fined $250,000 for “inappropriate, unauthorized comments” — all began with a friendship on the biggest social network of ‘em all, Facebook.
The communication between [Island Sports News owner Scott] Harrigan and Devellano started innocently on Facebook. Although the two do not know each other, they are Facebook friends. Among Devellano’s more than 700 Facebook friends are league executives (including Daly), reporters, several of his former players and hockey fans. When Harrigan posted on his own Facebook page a comment criticizing Bettman, Devellano replied to Harrigan, in public view, that Bettman works for the owners.
“The whole thing started because Jim was standing up for Bettman’s honor,” Harrigan said. “To be honest, I forgot Jim and I were even Facebook friends until he responded to me. I invited him to do an interview, he sent his phone number, and I called him.”
Devellano’s tell-all interview included a “players are cattle, owners are the ranchers” remark and the theory that Philly broken an unwritten rule by inking Shea Weber to a 14-year, $110 million offer sheet.
“The Detroit Red Wings’ organization and the League agree that the comments made by Mr. Devellano are neither appropriate, nor authorized, nor permissible under the League’s By-Laws,” NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said upon handing down the fine. “Such comments are neither constructive nor helpful to the negotiations.”
The best part? Devellano is also Facebook friends with Daly.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)