Oct 1, 2012, 4:17 PM EDT
Oh, social media. What wonders you work.
According to an article from the Sports Business Journal, the controversial interview given by Detroit Senior Vice President Jim Devellano — one that got the Wings fined $250,000 for “inappropriate, unauthorized comments” — all began with a friendship on the biggest social network of ’em all, Facebook.
The communication between [Island Sports News owner Scott] Harrigan and Devellano started innocently on Facebook. Although the two do not know each other, they are Facebook friends. Among Devellano’s more than 700 Facebook friends are league executives (including Daly), reporters, several of his former players and hockey fans. When Harrigan posted on his own Facebook page a comment criticizing Bettman, Devellano replied to Harrigan, in public view, that Bettman works for the owners.
“The whole thing started because Jim was standing up for Bettman’s honor,” Harrigan said. “To be honest, I forgot Jim and I were even Facebook friends until he responded to me. I invited him to do an interview, he sent his phone number, and I called him.”
Devellano’s tell-all interview included a “players are cattle, owners are the ranchers” remark and the theory that Philly broken an unwritten rule by inking Shea Weber to a 14-year, $110 million offer sheet.
“The Detroit Red Wings’ organization and the League agree that the comments made by Mr. Devellano are neither appropriate, nor authorized, nor permissible under the League’s By-Laws,” NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said upon handing down the fine. “Such comments are neither constructive nor helpful to the negotiations.”
The best part? Devellano is also Facebook friends with Daly.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)