Oct 1, 2012, 4:17 PM EST
Oh, social media. What wonders you work.
According to an article from the Sports Business Journal, the controversial interview given by Detroit Senior Vice President Jim Devellano — one that got the Wings fined $250,000 for “inappropriate, unauthorized comments” — all began with a friendship on the biggest social network of ‘em all, Facebook.
The communication between [Island Sports News owner Scott] Harrigan and Devellano started innocently on Facebook. Although the two do not know each other, they are Facebook friends. Among Devellano’s more than 700 Facebook friends are league executives (including Daly), reporters, several of his former players and hockey fans. When Harrigan posted on his own Facebook page a comment criticizing Bettman, Devellano replied to Harrigan, in public view, that Bettman works for the owners.
“The whole thing started because Jim was standing up for Bettman’s honor,” Harrigan said. “To be honest, I forgot Jim and I were even Facebook friends until he responded to me. I invited him to do an interview, he sent his phone number, and I called him.”
Devellano’s tell-all interview included a “players are cattle, owners are the ranchers” remark and the theory that Philly broken an unwritten rule by inking Shea Weber to a 14-year, $110 million offer sheet.
“The Detroit Red Wings’ organization and the League agree that the comments made by Mr. Devellano are neither appropriate, nor authorized, nor permissible under the League’s By-Laws,” NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said upon handing down the fine. “Such comments are neither constructive nor helpful to the negotiations.”
The best part? Devellano is also Facebook friends with Daly.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 18
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)