Oct 1, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
The Erste Bank Eishockey Liga is on the verge of landing its first big name of the NHL lockout.
Vanek grew up in Graz and is one of just three Austrian-born players currently in the NHL (he’s also the highest-scoring Austrian of all time.)
From a heritage standpoint, it’s easy to understand why he’d choose the EBEL — but from a competitive standpoint, well, it’s a little more difficult.
The Austrian league is a mid-level European circuit with teams based in Slovenia, Hungary, Croatia and the Czech Republic. The most recognizable squad is EC Red Bull Salzburg, coached by Pierre Page and featuring a slew of ex-NHLers (Alex Auld, Rob Davison, Ross Lupaschuk and Steve Regier.)
The 99ers don’t exactly have the same cache, though they do employ former Flyers, Sabres, Predators and Blue Jackets defenseman Andy Delmore. So that’s something.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 12
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 34
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 72
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 8
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 46
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'