Oct 1, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
The Erste Bank Eishockey Liga is on the verge of landing its first big name of the NHL lockout.
Vanek grew up in Graz and is one of just three Austrian-born players currently in the NHL (he’s also the highest-scoring Austrian of all time.)
From a heritage standpoint, it’s easy to understand why he’d choose the EBEL — but from a competitive standpoint, well, it’s a little more difficult.
The Austrian league is a mid-level European circuit with teams based in Slovenia, Hungary, Croatia and the Czech Republic. The most recognizable squad is EC Red Bull Salzburg, coached by Pierre Page and featuring a slew of ex-NHLers (Alex Auld, Rob Davison, Ross Lupaschuk and Steve Regier.)
The 99ers don’t exactly have the same cache, though they do employ former Flyers, Sabres, Predators and Blue Jackets defenseman Andy Delmore. So that’s something.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 16
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)