Oct 1, 2012, 11:17 AM EST
The Erste Bank Eishockey Liga is on the verge of landing its first big name of the NHL lockout.
Vanek grew up in Graz and is one of just three Austrian-born players currently in the NHL (he’s also the highest-scoring Austrian of all time.)
From a heritage standpoint, it’s easy to understand why he’d choose the EBEL — but from a competitive standpoint, well, it’s a little more difficult.
The Austrian league is a mid-level European circuit with teams based in Slovenia, Hungary, Croatia and the Czech Republic. The most recognizable squad is EC Red Bull Salzburg, coached by Pierre Page and featuring a slew of ex-NHLers (Alex Auld, Rob Davison, Ross Lupaschuk and Steve Regier.)
The 99ers don’t exactly have the same cache, though they do employ former Flyers, Sabres, Predators and Blue Jackets defenseman Andy Delmore. So that’s something.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)