Sep 30, 2012, 10:23 AM EDT
The lockout is forcing Rinaldo back to the AHL after spending 66 games with the Philadelphia Flyers last season. Some would be frustrated by the setback, but Rinaldo is trying to look at it as an “opportunity to become a better hockey player,” based on a Flyers.nhl.com report.
Rinaldo had nine points and 232 penalty minutes with the Flyers in 2011-12 while averaging just 7:29 of ice time per game, but he’ll get the opportunity to show what he can do with top-six minutes in the AHL.
Rinaldo said he’s always been an energy guy, but he wants to “focus on being a good, complete hockey player.”
One area he thinks he can help the AHL Phantoms — and then the Flyers after the lockout — in is killing penalties.
“I did a lot of penalty killing in the OHL,” Rinaldo said. “Not as much in the AHL and not really at al last year. But, I think I’ll be a good penalty killer because of a lot of assets that I have in my game. I like penalty killing. I like it better than the power play. Terry Murray is a great [penalty killing] teacher right? So I think he’ll be able to help me out a lot there.”
Rinaldo isn’t looking to change his game, but he wants to add to it. For young players like him, the lockout is an opportunity to take a step back and grow. It looks like he’ll try to take advantage of that.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 67
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)