Sep 30, 2012, 10:23 AM EDT
The lockout is forcing Rinaldo back to the AHL after spending 66 games with the Philadelphia Flyers last season. Some would be frustrated by the setback, but Rinaldo is trying to look at it as an “opportunity to become a better hockey player,” based on a Flyers.nhl.com report.
Rinaldo had nine points and 232 penalty minutes with the Flyers in 2011-12 while averaging just 7:29 of ice time per game, but he’ll get the opportunity to show what he can do with top-six minutes in the AHL.
Rinaldo said he’s always been an energy guy, but he wants to “focus on being a good, complete hockey player.”
One area he thinks he can help the AHL Phantoms — and then the Flyers after the lockout — in is killing penalties.
“I did a lot of penalty killing in the OHL,” Rinaldo said. “Not as much in the AHL and not really at al last year. But, I think I’ll be a good penalty killer because of a lot of assets that I have in my game. I like penalty killing. I like it better than the power play. Terry Murray is a great [penalty killing] teacher right? So I think he’ll be able to help me out a lot there.”
Rinaldo isn’t looking to change his game, but he wants to add to it. For young players like him, the lockout is an opportunity to take a step back and grow. It looks like he’ll try to take advantage of that.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)