Sep 30, 2012, 2:20 PM EST
Strozyk reports that Read’s the sixth NHL player to join Allsvenskan, which is the second-highest tier of Swedish hockey.
Read had a fantastic rookie season with 24 goals and 47 points in 79 games with the Philadelphia Flyers. Playing in Sweden will give him an opportunity to stay sharp so that he’ll be ready if the NHLPA and NHL agree to a new CBA in time to save the 2012-13 campaign.
Read will be joining another standout from the 2011-12 rookie class: Carl Hagelin. Unlike Read, who was born in Ontario, Hagelin will be using the lockout as an opportunity to play for his hometown team.
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 1
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 27
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 18
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 22
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 44
- Mike Richards clears waivers 35
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15