Sep 30, 2012, 2:20 PM EST
Strozyk reports that Read’s the sixth NHL player to join Allsvenskan, which is the second-highest tier of Swedish hockey.
Read had a fantastic rookie season with 24 goals and 47 points in 79 games with the Philadelphia Flyers. Playing in Sweden will give him an opportunity to stay sharp so that he’ll be ready if the NHLPA and NHL agree to a new CBA in time to save the 2012-13 campaign.
Read will be joining another standout from the 2011-12 rookie class: Carl Hagelin. Unlike Read, who was born in Ontario, Hagelin will be using the lockout as an opportunity to play for his hometown team.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 12
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 9
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 4
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8