Sep 30, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
Columnist Rich Hammond did a little compare/contrast bit on how the Los Angeles Kings’ engravings compare to those of the Boston Bruins and Chicago Blackhawks.
Most of the numbers are more or less the same (the Kings weighed in with the most players at 24), aside from a curious lack of scouts (two) engraved for the Blackhawks.*
Here’s the Kings’ engraving via Hammond by way of their Twitter page, in case you want to study it/make it your desktop background:
Hammond pointed out some of the stranger entries:
Each team has its share of “Who’s that?” names. The Kings included Phil Anschutz’s wife and AEG’s general counsel. The Bruins included owner Jeremy Jacobs’ wife and three children. The Blackhawks included their team doctor and massage therapist. The suggestion that the Kings stacked their list with “suits” doesn’t really hold water, particularly when some of those suggestions designate scouts and equipment guys as “suits.” The equipment guys, in particular, would find that hysterical.
One name that some especially rabid Kings fan might find missing is forward Andrei Loktionov. Hammond discusses the reasoning for his absence:
Personally, I would have tried to petition for him, but it’s true that his chances wouldn’t have been good. In 2010-11, Steven Kampfer played 38 regular-season games for Boston (one fewer than Loktionov last season). The Bruins petitioned the league to include him and they were denied. The Kings were able to petition to get the names of Davis Drewiske and Kevin Westgarth on the Cup, because they were a part of the team for the entire season. That makes sense to me. By being around the team all year, by working during (and long after) practices and by being supportive, popular teammates, they did more to assist the team than Loktionov.
Tough break for Kampfer, though.
* Perhaps that has something to do with Dale Tallon’s departure the previous summer?
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)