Sep 30, 2012, 12:55 PM EST
Back in June, the Washington Capitals named Adam Oates as their head coach for the 2012-13 campaign. Now that the lockout has put the NHL season in jeopardy, the Capitals have modified their plans.
“Mark French and Adam Oates will be co-coaches and they will work together and both will be very involved with the day-to-day [operations] of the team,” said Capitals GM George McPhee in a report on one of the Capitals’ official blogs: Dump ‘n Chase.
The remainder of the Capitals’ coaching staff will also play a role in Hershey, but their exact duties have not yet been determined.
McPhee sees this as a way “for all of our coaches in the organization to work together to learn the nuances of our system of play.”
Oates will be bringing an aggressive system to the table following former head coach Dale Hunter’s defense-first philosophy.
The infusion of the Capitals coaches will also allow for more one-on-one time with the AHL players.
“We obviously think the learning environment will be that much improved,” says McPhee. “You don’t have many opportunities to do this in our business. We’re looking for the silver lining and trying to make the best of the situation.”
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)