Sep 30, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT
Back in June, the Washington Capitals named Adam Oates as their head coach for the 2012-13 campaign. Now that the lockout has put the NHL season in jeopardy, the Capitals have modified their plans.
“Mark French and Adam Oates will be co-coaches and they will work together and both will be very involved with the day-to-day [operations] of the team,” said Capitals GM George McPhee in a report on one of the Capitals’ official blogs: Dump ‘n Chase.
The remainder of the Capitals’ coaching staff will also play a role in Hershey, but their exact duties have not yet been determined.
McPhee sees this as a way “for all of our coaches in the organization to work together to learn the nuances of our system of play.”
Oates will be bringing an aggressive system to the table following former head coach Dale Hunter’s defense-first philosophy.
The infusion of the Capitals coaches will also allow for more one-on-one time with the AHL players.
“We obviously think the learning environment will be that much improved,” says McPhee. “You don’t have many opportunities to do this in our business. We’re looking for the silver lining and trying to make the best of the situation.”
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)