Sep 30, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT
Back in June, the Washington Capitals named Adam Oates as their head coach for the 2012-13 campaign. Now that the lockout has put the NHL season in jeopardy, the Capitals have modified their plans.
“Mark French and Adam Oates will be co-coaches and they will work together and both will be very involved with the day-to-day [operations] of the team,” said Capitals GM George McPhee in a report on one of the Capitals’ official blogs: Dump ‘n Chase.
The remainder of the Capitals’ coaching staff will also play a role in Hershey, but their exact duties have not yet been determined.
McPhee sees this as a way “for all of our coaches in the organization to work together to learn the nuances of our system of play.”
Oates will be bringing an aggressive system to the table following former head coach Dale Hunter’s defense-first philosophy.
The infusion of the Capitals coaches will also allow for more one-on-one time with the AHL players.
“We obviously think the learning environment will be that much improved,” says McPhee. “You don’t have many opportunities to do this in our business. We’re looking for the silver lining and trying to make the best of the situation.”
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 16
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 24
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 34
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)