Sep 30, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT
Back in June, the Washington Capitals named Adam Oates as their head coach for the 2012-13 campaign. Now that the lockout has put the NHL season in jeopardy, the Capitals have modified their plans.
“Mark French and Adam Oates will be co-coaches and they will work together and both will be very involved with the day-to-day [operations] of the team,” said Capitals GM George McPhee in a report on one of the Capitals’ official blogs: Dump ‘n Chase.
The remainder of the Capitals’ coaching staff will also play a role in Hershey, but their exact duties have not yet been determined.
McPhee sees this as a way “for all of our coaches in the organization to work together to learn the nuances of our system of play.”
Oates will be bringing an aggressive system to the table following former head coach Dale Hunter’s defense-first philosophy.
The infusion of the Capitals coaches will also allow for more one-on-one time with the AHL players.
“We obviously think the learning environment will be that much improved,” says McPhee. “You don’t have many opportunities to do this in our business. We’re looking for the silver lining and trying to make the best of the situation.”
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)