Sep 29, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Nail Yakupov will be allowed to play in the KHL during the lockout, according to a Sportsnet report.
Yakupov join KHL Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk, but the IIHF said he was playing without an approved transfer card.
Yakupov spent the previous two seasons playing with the OHL Sarnia Sting, but he would be competing for a spot on the Edmonton Oilers’ roster at this point if it wasn’t for the lockout.
“It certainly caught those of us in the league office off guard because he suddenly was reported as playing in the KHL,” Canadian Hockey League president David Branch said earlier this week. “We had no knowledge of that.”
Still, Hockey Canada announced Saturday that Yakupov would be released to the KHL.
“Hockey Canada and the Russian Ice Hockey Federation have announced that the OHL has determined that Yakupov had no independent legal advice when, at the age of 17 years old, he signed his contract with Sarnia,” the Hockey Canada statement read. “His release goes into effect immediately.”
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 9
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 52
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)