Sep 29, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Nail Yakupov will be allowed to play in the KHL during the lockout, according to a Sportsnet report.
Yakupov join KHL Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk, but the IIHF said he was playing without an approved transfer card.
Yakupov spent the previous two seasons playing with the OHL Sarnia Sting, but he would be competing for a spot on the Edmonton Oilers’ roster at this point if it wasn’t for the lockout.
“It certainly caught those of us in the league office off guard because he suddenly was reported as playing in the KHL,” Canadian Hockey League president David Branch said earlier this week. “We had no knowledge of that.”
Still, Hockey Canada announced Saturday that Yakupov would be released to the KHL.
“Hockey Canada and the Russian Ice Hockey Federation have announced that the OHL has determined that Yakupov had no independent legal advice when, at the age of 17 years old, he signed his contract with Sarnia,” the Hockey Canada statement read. “His release goes into effect immediately.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)