Sep 29, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
Nicklas Lidstrom told NHL.com that he’s comfortable with his decision to retire from the NHL, but what about his gig as a scout?
Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland shares what it felt like to transition from his playing days.
“I played nine years of pro and when [the Red Wings] said they were hiring me as a scout, I knew what a scout did but I didn’t know where to go,” Holland said. “I didn’t even know what door of the building to go in, and when I got in the building I wasn’t sure where to go to get the information. That’s a learning process.”
Mike Babcock is confident that Lidstrom will excel at identifying talent, but renowned European scout Hakan Andersson admits it could go either way.
“I don’t know if he has it in him. I don’t know if he knows himself,” Andersson said. “If he does, it’s outstanding. If he doesn’t, it’s understandable.”
Either way, the Red Wings should get something out of keeping him in the organization.
Dan Rosen reports that the team will use Lidstrom for promotional purposes in addition to his scouting role, much like retired stars in the past. The difference is that he’s likely to do most of that in Sweden, though.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)