Sep 29, 2012, 10:30 PM EST
Nicklas Lidstrom told NHL.com that he’s comfortable with his decision to retire from the NHL, but what about his gig as a scout?
Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland shares what it felt like to transition from his playing days.
“I played nine years of pro and when [the Red Wings] said they were hiring me as a scout, I knew what a scout did but I didn’t know where to go,” Holland said. “I didn’t even know what door of the building to go in, and when I got in the building I wasn’t sure where to go to get the information. That’s a learning process.”
Mike Babcock is confident that Lidstrom will excel at identifying talent, but renowned European scout Hakan Andersson admits it could go either way.
“I don’t know if he has it in him. I don’t know if he knows himself,” Andersson said. “If he does, it’s outstanding. If he doesn’t, it’s understandable.”
Either way, the Red Wings should get something out of keeping him in the organization.
Dan Rosen reports that the team will use Lidstrom for promotional purposes in addition to his scouting role, much like retired stars in the past. The difference is that he’s likely to do most of that in Sweden, though.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (58)