Sep 29, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
Nicklas Lidstrom told NHL.com that he’s comfortable with his decision to retire from the NHL, but what about his gig as a scout?
Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland shares what it felt like to transition from his playing days.
“I played nine years of pro and when [the Red Wings] said they were hiring me as a scout, I knew what a scout did but I didn’t know where to go,” Holland said. “I didn’t even know what door of the building to go in, and when I got in the building I wasn’t sure where to go to get the information. That’s a learning process.”
Mike Babcock is confident that Lidstrom will excel at identifying talent, but renowned European scout Hakan Andersson admits it could go either way.
“I don’t know if he has it in him. I don’t know if he knows himself,” Andersson said. “If he does, it’s outstanding. If he doesn’t, it’s understandable.”
Either way, the Red Wings should get something out of keeping him in the organization.
Dan Rosen reports that the team will use Lidstrom for promotional purposes in addition to his scouting role, much like retired stars in the past. The difference is that he’s likely to do most of that in Sweden, though.
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 4
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 6
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 11
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 32
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 36
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)