Sep 29, 2012, 10:30 PM EDT
Nicklas Lidstrom told NHL.com that he’s comfortable with his decision to retire from the NHL, but what about his gig as a scout?
Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland shares what it felt like to transition from his playing days.
“I played nine years of pro and when [the Red Wings] said they were hiring me as a scout, I knew what a scout did but I didn’t know where to go,” Holland said. “I didn’t even know what door of the building to go in, and when I got in the building I wasn’t sure where to go to get the information. That’s a learning process.”
Mike Babcock is confident that Lidstrom will excel at identifying talent, but renowned European scout Hakan Andersson admits it could go either way.
“I don’t know if he has it in him. I don’t know if he knows himself,” Andersson said. “If he does, it’s outstanding. If he doesn’t, it’s understandable.”
Either way, the Red Wings should get something out of keeping him in the organization.
Dan Rosen reports that the team will use Lidstrom for promotional purposes in addition to his scouting role, much like retired stars in the past. The difference is that he’s likely to do most of that in Sweden, though.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)