Sep 29, 2012, 6:27 PM EDT
Terry Murray has been a fixture of the Philadelphia Flyers organization. Now he’ll help mold players preparing to join the big team.
He discussed his role as the head coach of the team’s AHL affiliate – the Adirondack Phantoms – with CSNPhilly.com. (Murray accepted the job in June.)
Tim Panaccio points out all the times Murray has worked for the Flyers:
Three times, Terry Murray played for the Flyers. Then he coached them to the 1997 Stanley Cup Final. He later scouted for them.
More recently, he was an assistant coach under Ken Hitchcock, and then John Stevens.
(One might also joke that he coached “Flyers West” – aka the Los Angeles Kings – before being fired last season.)
Murray said it won’t take him much for him to get re-acclimated with the organization itself, although he’ll need some time to put “faces to the names.”
With the lockout in full swing, Murray said he’ll turn to guys like Brayden Schenn and Sean Courturier to help lead the team.
“The drills will be the ones I used over the years,” Murray said. “Brayden will remember and be familiar with them. These are smart hockey players.”
“ … And they do it right the first time. Yeah, I will look to him and to [Sean] Couturier and players who are the smart and good players to set the example every day.”
At least until – or if – the NHL games start again, that is.
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 7
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 22
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 16
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)