Sep 29, 2012, 6:27 PM EDT
Terry Murray has been a fixture of the Philadelphia Flyers organization. Now he’ll help mold players preparing to join the big team.
He discussed his role as the head coach of the team’s AHL affiliate – the Adirondack Phantoms – with CSNPhilly.com. (Murray accepted the job in June.)
Tim Panaccio points out all the times Murray has worked for the Flyers:
Three times, Terry Murray played for the Flyers. Then he coached them to the 1997 Stanley Cup Final. He later scouted for them.
More recently, he was an assistant coach under Ken Hitchcock, and then John Stevens.
(One might also joke that he coached “Flyers West” – aka the Los Angeles Kings – before being fired last season.)
Murray said it won’t take him much for him to get re-acclimated with the organization itself, although he’ll need some time to put “faces to the names.”
With the lockout in full swing, Murray said he’ll turn to guys like Brayden Schenn and Sean Courturier to help lead the team.
“The drills will be the ones I used over the years,” Murray said. “Brayden will remember and be familiar with them. These are smart hockey players.”
“ … And they do it right the first time. Yeah, I will look to him and to [Sean] Couturier and players who are the smart and good players to set the example every day.”
At least until – or if – the NHL games start again, that is.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 49
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (53)