Sep 29, 2012, 6:27 PM EDT
Terry Murray has been a fixture of the Philadelphia Flyers organization. Now he’ll help mold players preparing to join the big team.
He discussed his role as the head coach of the team’s AHL affiliate – the Adirondack Phantoms – with CSNPhilly.com. (Murray accepted the job in June.)
Tim Panaccio points out all the times Murray has worked for the Flyers:
Three times, Terry Murray played for the Flyers. Then he coached them to the 1997 Stanley Cup Final. He later scouted for them.
More recently, he was an assistant coach under Ken Hitchcock, and then John Stevens.
(One might also joke that he coached “Flyers West” – aka the Los Angeles Kings – before being fired last season.)
Murray said it won’t take him much for him to get re-acclimated with the organization itself, although he’ll need some time to put “faces to the names.”
With the lockout in full swing, Murray said he’ll turn to guys like Brayden Schenn and Sean Courturier to help lead the team.
“The drills will be the ones I used over the years,” Murray said. “Brayden will remember and be familiar with them. These are smart hockey players.”
“ … And they do it right the first time. Yeah, I will look to him and to [Sean] Couturier and players who are the smart and good players to set the example every day.”
At least until – or if – the NHL games start again, that is.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)