Sep 29, 2012, 6:27 PM EDT
Terry Murray has been a fixture of the Philadelphia Flyers organization. Now he’ll help mold players preparing to join the big team.
He discussed his role as the head coach of the team’s AHL affiliate – the Adirondack Phantoms – with CSNPhilly.com. (Murray accepted the job in June.)
Tim Panaccio points out all the times Murray has worked for the Flyers:
Three times, Terry Murray played for the Flyers. Then he coached them to the 1997 Stanley Cup Final. He later scouted for them.
More recently, he was an assistant coach under Ken Hitchcock, and then John Stevens.
(One might also joke that he coached “Flyers West” – aka the Los Angeles Kings – before being fired last season.)
Murray said it won’t take him much for him to get re-acclimated with the organization itself, although he’ll need some time to put “faces to the names.”
With the lockout in full swing, Murray said he’ll turn to guys like Brayden Schenn and Sean Courturier to help lead the team.
“The drills will be the ones I used over the years,” Murray said. “Brayden will remember and be familiar with them. These are smart hockey players.”
“ … And they do it right the first time. Yeah, I will look to him and to [Sean] Couturier and players who are the smart and good players to set the example every day.”
At least until – or if – the NHL games start again, that is.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)