Sep 29, 2012, 6:27 PM EDT
Terry Murray has been a fixture of the Philadelphia Flyers organization. Now he’ll help mold players preparing to join the big team.
He discussed his role as the head coach of the team’s AHL affiliate – the Adirondack Phantoms – with CSNPhilly.com. (Murray accepted the job in June.)
Tim Panaccio points out all the times Murray has worked for the Flyers:
Three times, Terry Murray played for the Flyers. Then he coached them to the 1997 Stanley Cup Final. He later scouted for them.
More recently, he was an assistant coach under Ken Hitchcock, and then John Stevens.
(One might also joke that he coached “Flyers West” – aka the Los Angeles Kings – before being fired last season.)
Murray said it won’t take him much for him to get re-acclimated with the organization itself, although he’ll need some time to put “faces to the names.”
With the lockout in full swing, Murray said he’ll turn to guys like Brayden Schenn and Sean Courturier to help lead the team.
“The drills will be the ones I used over the years,” Murray said. “Brayden will remember and be familiar with them. These are smart hockey players.”
“ … And they do it right the first time. Yeah, I will look to him and to [Sean] Couturier and players who are the smart and good players to set the example every day.”
At least until – or if – the NHL games start again, that is.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)