Sep 29, 2012, 3:47 PM EDT
Sven Baertschi is one of the top prospects in the NHL and there’s a decent chance he’ll play with the Calgary Flames when/if the 2012-13 NHL season starts. Until then he’ll have to earn his keep under the leadership of Abbotsford Heat coach Troy Ward.
“People may be like, ‘oh, here comes Sven. Let’s do this for Sven and let’s do that for Sven,’ ” Ward said in a Calgary Herald report. “I’m on a different page. Let’s let Sven do what he’s supposed to do. Let him earn everything he gets.
“We’re not going to throw out the red roses here because he’s coming.”
Ward’s logic is that Baertschi needs to endure “tough times” at the AHL level if he’s going to be able to handle adversity in the NHL.
“When he goes up there and does go through some rough waters, we need him know how to handle that and know how to act,” Ward explained.
Baertschi served with the WHL Portland Winterhawks last season, but he did enjoy a brief and impressive stint with the Calgary Flames. Baertschi found the back of the net three times in a mere five NHL games.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)