Sep 29, 2012, 3:47 PM EDT
Sven Baertschi is one of the top prospects in the NHL and there’s a decent chance he’ll play with the Calgary Flames when/if the 2012-13 NHL season starts. Until then he’ll have to earn his keep under the leadership of Abbotsford Heat coach Troy Ward.
“People may be like, ‘oh, here comes Sven. Let’s do this for Sven and let’s do that for Sven,’ ” Ward said in a Calgary Herald report. “I’m on a different page. Let’s let Sven do what he’s supposed to do. Let him earn everything he gets.
“We’re not going to throw out the red roses here because he’s coming.”
Ward’s logic is that Baertschi needs to endure “tough times” at the AHL level if he’s going to be able to handle adversity in the NHL.
“When he goes up there and does go through some rough waters, we need him know how to handle that and know how to act,” Ward explained.
Baertschi served with the WHL Portland Winterhawks last season, but he did enjoy a brief and impressive stint with the Calgary Flames. Baertschi found the back of the net three times in a mere five NHL games.
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 0
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 26
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 48
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 80
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires