Sep 29, 2012, 3:47 PM EDT
Sven Baertschi is one of the top prospects in the NHL and there’s a decent chance he’ll play with the Calgary Flames when/if the 2012-13 NHL season starts. Until then he’ll have to earn his keep under the leadership of Abbotsford Heat coach Troy Ward.
“People may be like, ‘oh, here comes Sven. Let’s do this for Sven and let’s do that for Sven,’ ” Ward said in a Calgary Herald report. “I’m on a different page. Let’s let Sven do what he’s supposed to do. Let him earn everything he gets.
“We’re not going to throw out the red roses here because he’s coming.”
Ward’s logic is that Baertschi needs to endure “tough times” at the AHL level if he’s going to be able to handle adversity in the NHL.
“When he goes up there and does go through some rough waters, we need him know how to handle that and know how to act,” Ward explained.
Baertschi served with the WHL Portland Winterhawks last season, but he did enjoy a brief and impressive stint with the Calgary Flames. Baertschi found the back of the net three times in a mere five NHL games.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 9
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 14
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 30
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 42
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 45
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)