Sep 29, 2012, 3:47 PM EDT
Sven Baertschi is one of the top prospects in the NHL and there’s a decent chance he’ll play with the Calgary Flames when/if the 2012-13 NHL season starts. Until then he’ll have to earn his keep under the leadership of Abbotsford Heat coach Troy Ward.
“People may be like, ‘oh, here comes Sven. Let’s do this for Sven and let’s do that for Sven,’ ” Ward said in a Calgary Herald report. “I’m on a different page. Let’s let Sven do what he’s supposed to do. Let him earn everything he gets.
“We’re not going to throw out the red roses here because he’s coming.”
Ward’s logic is that Baertschi needs to endure “tough times” at the AHL level if he’s going to be able to handle adversity in the NHL.
“When he goes up there and does go through some rough waters, we need him know how to handle that and know how to act,” Ward explained.
Baertschi served with the WHL Portland Winterhawks last season, but he did enjoy a brief and impressive stint with the Calgary Flames. Baertschi found the back of the net three times in a mere five NHL games.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 14
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 24
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 16
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 30
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)