Sep 29, 2012, 3:47 PM EST
Sven Baertschi is one of the top prospects in the NHL and there’s a decent chance he’ll play with the Calgary Flames when/if the 2012-13 NHL season starts. Until then he’ll have to earn his keep under the leadership of Abbotsford Heat coach Troy Ward.
“People may be like, ‘oh, here comes Sven. Let’s do this for Sven and let’s do that for Sven,’ ” Ward said in a Calgary Herald report. “I’m on a different page. Let’s let Sven do what he’s supposed to do. Let him earn everything he gets.
“We’re not going to throw out the red roses here because he’s coming.”
Ward’s logic is that Baertschi needs to endure “tough times” at the AHL level if he’s going to be able to handle adversity in the NHL.
“When he goes up there and does go through some rough waters, we need him know how to handle that and know how to act,” Ward explained.
Baertschi served with the WHL Portland Winterhawks last season, but he did enjoy a brief and impressive stint with the Calgary Flames. Baertschi found the back of the net three times in a mere five NHL games.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 38
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)