Sep 29, 2012, 4:19 PM EST
As we previously reported, the union and NHL met on Saturday to continue the CBA negotiations. However, NHLPA boss Donald Fehr and NHL commissioner Gary Bettman also talked in private on Saturday, according to the Detroit Free Press.
“I spent a few minutes with Gary talking about the overall situation, and we agreed to keep in touch,” Fehr said.
Fehr later added, “I am not going to talk about the specifics, but in general we’re trying to discuss how do we find a way to make an agreement. How do we bridge the gap on the major issues that are between us.”
Fehr said the union has given the NHL “several different ideas to consider about how to lengthen the agreement to how to be more in line with what they wanted.”
On Friday, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said, “We need some kind of sign that they are prepared to compromise their economic position because we haven’t had that since Aug. 14.”
The NHL is seeking to reduce the player’s share of hockey-related revenue, which was at 57% in the old CBA. Saturday’s meeting touched on the definition of hockey-related revenue, which Fehr feels is significant because it gives them an indication of how big of a pie they’re splitting.
Those private talks might end up being what pushes us towards a new CBA, but only time will tell. Either way, them meeting is better than the alternative.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)