Sep 29, 2012, 4:19 PM EDT
As we previously reported, the union and NHL met on Saturday to continue the CBA negotiations. However, NHLPA boss Donald Fehr and NHL commissioner Gary Bettman also talked in private on Saturday, according to the Detroit Free Press.
“I spent a few minutes with Gary talking about the overall situation, and we agreed to keep in touch,” Fehr said.
Fehr later added, “I am not going to talk about the specifics, but in general we’re trying to discuss how do we find a way to make an agreement. How do we bridge the gap on the major issues that are between us.”
Fehr said the union has given the NHL “several different ideas to consider about how to lengthen the agreement to how to be more in line with what they wanted.”
On Friday, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said, “We need some kind of sign that they are prepared to compromise their economic position because we haven’t had that since Aug. 14.”
The NHL is seeking to reduce the player’s share of hockey-related revenue, which was at 57% in the old CBA. Saturday’s meeting touched on the definition of hockey-related revenue, which Fehr feels is significant because it gives them an indication of how big of a pie they’re splitting.
Those private talks might end up being what pushes us towards a new CBA, but only time will tell. Either way, them meeting is better than the alternative.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 2
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 76
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)