Sep 29, 2012, 5:05 PM EDT
Defenseman Dougie Hamilton is playing for the OHL Niagara IceDogs and goaltender Malcolm Subban has gotten off to a hot start with the OHL Belleville Bulls. However, both could end up reporting to the Boston Bruins’ camp if the 2012-13 campaign is saved.
“They made an amendment to the NHL’s agreement with the Canadian Hockey League that will allow us to extract at the very least [Dougie] at the time of camp,” said Chiarelli in a CSNNE report. “There are a small number of players per team you can take because we have to be fair to the CHL teams as well.”
Chiarelli also said that Subban might end up reporting to the Bruins’ camp, but only if there’s a “catastrophic injury.” The Bruins projected goaltending duo of Tuukka Rask and Anton Khudobin are both playing overseas during the lockout.
At this point, any scenario that leads to a 2012-13 campaign will probably only involve a shortened preseason, which means teams will likely limit invitations to those that have a legitimate shot of making the squad. 2011 first-round pick Hamilton certainly qualifies after recording 72 points in 50 OHL games last season.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)