Sep 28, 2012, 4:43 PM EST
Yesterday, we passed along news that 13-year NHL veteran Paul Mara had signed on to play in the East Coast Hockey League.
Now it appears Mara will have some company.
Just to be clear, this isn’t one of those “OMG, look at how fall Gomez has fallen” stories like you see in the Montreal Gazette every other week.
It’s something Gomez has experience with.
During the 2004-05 work stoppage, he joined the Aces for 61 games and tore up the league, notching 86 points en route to winning MVP honors. The season wasn’t all positive, though — Gomez broke his pelvis on a hit during the playoffs, a pretty big deal given he was a restricted free agent.
Here’s more on the incident, from CBC (and yes, that’s ex-Blues head coach Davis Payne):
Bakersfield Condors forward Ashlee Langdone blind-sided Gomez into the open gate. Langdone received a five-minute boarding penalty on the play.
“I have no respect for him [Langdone],” Gomez told the Anchorage Daily News.
Aces coach Davis Payne also fumed over what he felt was an unfair hit.
“It’s one thing to play that type of hockey, to finish your checks, to check hard, punch, slash and facewash people from behind,” Payne told the Daily News. “But it’s another thing to take a premium superstar who did everyone in the game of hockey a favour by coming here and hit him like that.
“It’s absolutely disgraceful.”
In searching Aces website, I learned one of the team owners is named Rod Udd. That’s not even a name. That’s a sound.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 1
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 9
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)