Sep 28, 2012, 4:43 PM EDT
Yesterday, we passed along news that 13-year NHL veteran Paul Mara had signed on to play in the East Coast Hockey League.
Now it appears Mara will have some company.
Just to be clear, this isn’t one of those “OMG, look at how fall Gomez has fallen” stories like you see in the Montreal Gazette every other week.
It’s something Gomez has experience with.
During the 2004-05 work stoppage, he joined the Aces for 61 games and tore up the league, notching 86 points en route to winning MVP honors. The season wasn’t all positive, though — Gomez broke his pelvis on a hit during the playoffs, a pretty big deal given he was a restricted free agent.
Here’s more on the incident, from CBC (and yes, that’s ex-Blues head coach Davis Payne):
Bakersfield Condors forward Ashlee Langdone blind-sided Gomez into the open gate. Langdone received a five-minute boarding penalty on the play.
“I have no respect for him [Langdone],” Gomez told the Anchorage Daily News.
Aces coach Davis Payne also fumed over what he felt was an unfair hit.
“It’s one thing to play that type of hockey, to finish your checks, to check hard, punch, slash and facewash people from behind,” Payne told the Daily News. “But it’s another thing to take a premium superstar who did everyone in the game of hockey a favour by coming here and hit him like that.
“It’s absolutely disgraceful.”
In searching Aces website, I learned one of the team owners is named Rod Udd. That’s not even a name. That’s a sound.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)