Sep 28, 2012, 1:56 PM EST
It appears Evander Kane is on his way to the KHL.
According to a report from the Dinamo Minsk website, the Belarus-based club has agreed to terms with the Jets sniper, making him the first locked-out Canadian NHLer to join the league.
(As per Chris Johnston of the Canadian Press.)
Kane, 21, made waves just prior to the lockout by signing a six-year, $31.5 million extension with Winnipeg hours before the CBA expired.
The contract ended months of negotiation and speculation about Kane’s future with the Jets — while the relationship between club and player has occasionally been tenuous off the ice, there have been no complaints about his on-ice production.
Kane led the Jets in goals last year, with 30, and finished second on the team in points while averaging 17:31 TOI.
As for the KHL development — signing Kane is a big splash, and it’s not surprising Dinamo made it.
On Tuesday, the club made a huge move by securing the services of Nashville’s Vezina-nominated goalie, Pekka Rinne, and made waves earlier this summer by signing former Jets forward (and Kane’s ex-teammate) Tim Stapleton.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 28
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 89
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (89)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)