Sep 28, 2012, 1:56 PM EDT
It appears Evander Kane is on his way to the KHL.
According to a report from the Dinamo Minsk website, the Belarus-based club has agreed to terms with the Jets sniper, making him the first locked-out Canadian NHLer to join the league.
(As per Chris Johnston of the Canadian Press.)
Kane, 21, made waves just prior to the lockout by signing a six-year, $31.5 million extension with Winnipeg hours before the CBA expired.
The contract ended months of negotiation and speculation about Kane’s future with the Jets — while the relationship between club and player has occasionally been tenuous off the ice, there have been no complaints about his on-ice production.
Kane led the Jets in goals last year, with 30, and finished second on the team in points while averaging 17:31 TOI.
As for the KHL development — signing Kane is a big splash, and it’s not surprising Dinamo made it.
On Tuesday, the club made a huge move by securing the services of Nashville’s Vezina-nominated goalie, Pekka Rinne, and made waves earlier this summer by signing former Jets forward (and Kane’s ex-teammate) Tim Stapleton.
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 0
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 11
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 15
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 9
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 29
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)