Sep 28, 2012, 1:56 PM EST
It appears Evander Kane is on his way to the KHL.
According to a report from the Dinamo Minsk website, the Belarus-based club has agreed to terms with the Jets sniper, making him the first locked-out Canadian NHLer to join the league.
(As per Chris Johnston of the Canadian Press.)
Kane, 21, made waves just prior to the lockout by signing a six-year, $31.5 million extension with Winnipeg hours before the CBA expired.
The contract ended months of negotiation and speculation about Kane’s future with the Jets — while the relationship between club and player has occasionally been tenuous off the ice, there have been no complaints about his on-ice production.
Kane led the Jets in goals last year, with 30, and finished second on the team in points while averaging 17:31 TOI.
As for the KHL development — signing Kane is a big splash, and it’s not surprising Dinamo made it.
On Tuesday, the club made a huge move by securing the services of Nashville’s Vezina-nominated goalie, Pekka Rinne, and made waves earlier this summer by signing former Jets forward (and Kane’s ex-teammate) Tim Stapleton.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 67
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 86
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)