Sep 28, 2012, 4:15 PM EDT
The developer of a new NHL-caliber arena in the Toronto suburb of Markham continues to insist that the project doesn’t require an NHL tenant to be profitable.
Former Bauer chairman Graeme Roustan also maintains that recently announced partnerships with companies belonging to NHL owners Ed Snider (Flyers) and Jeremy Jacobs (Bruins) are merely a function of the relationships he’s made in the hockey world.
“If I was a concert promoter, all of my relationships most likely would be in the concert and event promotion business,” Roustan told the National Post. “I happen to have spent the last five or 10 years in the hockey world, so most of the people that I know are from that industry.”
Of course, if Roustan does indeed covet an NHL franchise for his new arena, he’s not about to crow about it in public. That’s not how the league likes to do business. Jim Balsillie can tell you that.
Besides, Roustan isn’t saying he doesn’t want an NHL tenant. He’s only saying he doesn’t need one.
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 12
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 13
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 18
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 68
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 100
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (100)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger