Sep 28, 2012, 4:15 PM EST
The developer of a new NHL-caliber arena in the Toronto suburb of Markham continues to insist that the project doesn’t require an NHL tenant to be profitable.
Former Bauer chairman Graeme Roustan also maintains that recently announced partnerships with companies belonging to NHL owners Ed Snider (Flyers) and Jeremy Jacobs (Bruins) are merely a function of the relationships he’s made in the hockey world.
“If I was a concert promoter, all of my relationships most likely would be in the concert and event promotion business,” Roustan told the National Post. “I happen to have spent the last five or 10 years in the hockey world, so most of the people that I know are from that industry.”
Of course, if Roustan does indeed covet an NHL franchise for his new arena, he’s not about to crow about it in public. That’s not how the league likes to do business. Jim Balsillie can tell you that.
Besides, Roustan isn’t saying he doesn’t want an NHL tenant. He’s only saying he doesn’t need one.
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 10
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 33
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 27
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 11
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 15
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 14
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 40
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 24
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 46
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)