Sep 28, 2012, 3:39 PM EDT
After stellar rookie campaigns punctuated with Calder nominations, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Adam Henrique were probably pretty excited about starting their sophomore seasons.
Wonder how they feel now.
Today, Nugent-Hopkins and Henrique reported to AHL Oklahoma City and Albany, byproducts of the current work stoppage. It must feel a bit odd, given what both accomplished with the Oilers and Devils last season — the Nuge became the fourth player in league history to record five assists in a single game while Henrique was the first rookie ever to score two series-clinching overtime goals in the same playoffs.
As such, it’s hard to imagine either guy is stoked about bus rides to Peoria and Worcester.
Not that they’re letting on, mind you.
“I’m just going to go in and play and not worry – too much – about the [lockout] going on,” Nugent-Hopkins told the Globe and Mail. “Obviously, I’m going to be involved as much as I can be with it, but I’m just going to get on the ice and focus on that – and whatever happens, happens.”
Henrique’s situation is a tad different. Unlike RNH, he has some experience at the AHL level — he played 76 games with Albany from 2010-12 — and is familiar with many of the players and coaches.
Henrique also realizes having a roster spot waiting for him is a luxury.
“You want to be playing in the NHL,” Henrique told Rich Chere of NJ.com. “[But] It’s nice I don’t have to worry about not having a place to play.”
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 5
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 7
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)