Sep 28, 2012, 3:39 PM EDT
After stellar rookie campaigns punctuated with Calder nominations, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Adam Henrique were probably pretty excited about starting their sophomore seasons.
Wonder how they feel now.
Today, Nugent-Hopkins and Henrique reported to AHL Oklahoma City and Albany, byproducts of the current work stoppage. It must feel a bit odd, given what both accomplished with the Oilers and Devils last season — the Nuge became the fourth player in league history to record five assists in a single game while Henrique was the first rookie ever to score two series-clinching overtime goals in the same playoffs.
As such, it’s hard to imagine either guy is stoked about bus rides to Peoria and Worcester.
Not that they’re letting on, mind you.
“I’m just going to go in and play and not worry – too much – about the [lockout] going on,” Nugent-Hopkins told the Globe and Mail. “Obviously, I’m going to be involved as much as I can be with it, but I’m just going to get on the ice and focus on that – and whatever happens, happens.”
Henrique’s situation is a tad different. Unlike RNH, he has some experience at the AHL level — he played 76 games with Albany from 2010-12 — and is familiar with many of the players and coaches.
Henrique also realizes having a roster spot waiting for him is a luxury.
“You want to be playing in the NHL,” Henrique told Rich Chere of NJ.com. “[But] It’s nice I don’t have to worry about not having a place to play.”
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 7
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 11
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 39
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 62
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)