Sep 27, 2012, 6:14 PM EDT
With the lockout in effect and players taking part in their own practices, sometimes position changes will happen.
As Erik Erlendsson of The Tampa Tribune notes, notorious goal-crasher Ryan Malone is taking the opportunity to see how the other half lives by playing goalie.
“I don’t mind throwing the pads on once in a while,” said Malone, who did it for a practice in Ottawa in the past few seasons, swapping gear with then-goaltender Mike Smith. “And we don’t have another goalie, so it’s better than no goalie.”
The Lightning players don’t have another goalie because Anders Lindback is working out back home in Sweden. As for the lockout itself, Malone sounds as negative as many other players have lately preparing as if they might miss the season.
So how about a future in goal for Malone? Steven Stamkos says he thinks Malone, “could’ve played in the ’80s with that stand-up style.” He’s got that going for him at least, which is nice.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks