Sep 27, 2012, 11:31 AM EDT
Even the midst of a lockout, the NHL continues to add employees.
According to the Western Hockey League website, three officials — referees Trevor Hanson and Trent Knorr, linesman Kiel Murchison — have been recruited to the NHL.
While all three have signed NHL contracts, they’ll officiate in the American Hockey League this season.
Bob Hall, the NHL’s senior officiating manager, says the WHL is a good breeding ground for referees and linesmen.
“[The WHL] is an environment that has huge crowds, great venues, a lot of pressure, and a highly-skilled and competitive level of hockey,” said Hall. “One of the main advantages of the WHL is that it is so big, geographically, that it really teaches guys how to self-manage.
“Just getting from point ‘A’ to point ‘B’ can be very distracting, and you have to learn how to get yourself ready to work a game after traveling for hours, and through some tough weather conditions at that.”
The addition of new NHL recruits isn’t all that surprising, as a couple of jobs opened up this summer.
In June, referee Stephane Auger — he of the l’affaire de Burrows — announced his retirement after 13 years in the league.
Later that month, Marcus Vinnerborg — the NHL’s first European-trained referee — also called it a career.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 9
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)