Sep 27, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
While players earn some money (or shake off rust) overseas, general managers wait on the sidelines during a lockout. So what do they actually do?
Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland told Pierre LeBrun that they essentially become scouts with the NHL out of action.
“Right now, we’re all going to be glorified scouts to a degree,” Holland said. “All you can really do at this point is go watch games and evaluate players.”
Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman explains the silver lining from this process: getting to know players in the system better.
“When I sit in the meetings and hear the scouts talk about a player, now I can put a name to a face of a player I’ve watched and just have a bit more knowledge,” Yzerman. “I don’t intend on interfering with our amateur scouts, they’re busy and they’ve got a plan and a direction.”
LeBrun pegs one group that might be even antsier than GMs: coaches. Mike Babcock jokes about how he’ll get some extra down time.
“I’m trying to drive my wife crazy enough, so I can get a road trip,” Babcock said. “I think I’ll get it quick.”
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)