Sep 27, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
While players earn some money (or shake off rust) overseas, general managers wait on the sidelines during a lockout. So what do they actually do?
Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland told Pierre LeBrun that they essentially become scouts with the NHL out of action.
“Right now, we’re all going to be glorified scouts to a degree,” Holland said. “All you can really do at this point is go watch games and evaluate players.”
Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman explains the silver lining from this process: getting to know players in the system better.
“When I sit in the meetings and hear the scouts talk about a player, now I can put a name to a face of a player I’ve watched and just have a bit more knowledge,” Yzerman. “I don’t intend on interfering with our amateur scouts, they’re busy and they’ve got a plan and a direction.”
LeBrun pegs one group that might be even antsier than GMs: coaches. Mike Babcock jokes about how he’ll get some extra down time.
“I’m trying to drive my wife crazy enough, so I can get a road trip,” Babcock said. “I think I’ll get it quick.”
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)