Sep 27, 2012, 10:00 AM EST
While players earn some money (or shake off rust) overseas, general managers wait on the sidelines during a lockout. So what do they actually do?
Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland told Pierre LeBrun that they essentially become scouts with the NHL out of action.
“Right now, we’re all going to be glorified scouts to a degree,” Holland said. “All you can really do at this point is go watch games and evaluate players.”
Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman explains the silver lining from this process: getting to know players in the system better.
“When I sit in the meetings and hear the scouts talk about a player, now I can put a name to a face of a player I’ve watched and just have a bit more knowledge,” Yzerman. “I don’t intend on interfering with our amateur scouts, they’re busy and they’ve got a plan and a direction.”
LeBrun pegs one group that might be even antsier than GMs: coaches. Mike Babcock jokes about how he’ll get some extra down time.
“I’m trying to drive my wife crazy enough, so I can get a road trip,” Babcock said. “I think I’ll get it quick.”
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 0
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)