Sep 27, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
While players earn some money (or shake off rust) overseas, general managers wait on the sidelines during a lockout. So what do they actually do?
Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland told Pierre LeBrun that they essentially become scouts with the NHL out of action.
“Right now, we’re all going to be glorified scouts to a degree,” Holland said. “All you can really do at this point is go watch games and evaluate players.”
Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman explains the silver lining from this process: getting to know players in the system better.
“When I sit in the meetings and hear the scouts talk about a player, now I can put a name to a face of a player I’ve watched and just have a bit more knowledge,” Yzerman. “I don’t intend on interfering with our amateur scouts, they’re busy and they’ve got a plan and a direction.”
LeBrun pegs one group that might be even antsier than GMs: coaches. Mike Babcock jokes about how he’ll get some extra down time.
“I’m trying to drive my wife crazy enough, so I can get a road trip,” Babcock said. “I think I’ll get it quick.”
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 22
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 18
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 46
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic