Sep 27, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
While players earn some money (or shake off rust) overseas, general managers wait on the sidelines during a lockout. So what do they actually do?
Detroit Red Wings GM Ken Holland told Pierre LeBrun that they essentially become scouts with the NHL out of action.
“Right now, we’re all going to be glorified scouts to a degree,” Holland said. “All you can really do at this point is go watch games and evaluate players.”
Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman explains the silver lining from this process: getting to know players in the system better.
“When I sit in the meetings and hear the scouts talk about a player, now I can put a name to a face of a player I’ve watched and just have a bit more knowledge,” Yzerman. “I don’t intend on interfering with our amateur scouts, they’re busy and they’ve got a plan and a direction.”
LeBrun pegs one group that might be even antsier than GMs: coaches. Mike Babcock jokes about how he’ll get some extra down time.
“I’m trying to drive my wife crazy enough, so I can get a road trip,” Babcock said. “I think I’ll get it quick.”
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 0
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 12
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 30
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)