Sep 27, 2012, 7:33 PM EDT
Josh Gorges is spending the lockout doing things a little bit different. Rather than run off to Europe, he’s taking his time out to help out a potential future star in Montreal in Brendan Gallagher.
Pat Hickey of the Montreal Gazette hears from Gorges about why he’s doing it and just who Gallagher reminds him of.
“He reminds me a lot of Brian Gionta,” Gorges said. “He’s not afraid to get into the dirty areas around the net where you hack and whack. He came really close to making this team last year, and I thought if I could help him a bit. I know that when I was 19 at the San Jose camp, Scott Hannan took me under his wing and helped me out. I’m trying to do the same thing for Brendan.”
There’s a few reasons why Gorges has been a fan favorite in Montreal, most of them having to do with his tough defensive play. Doing these sorts of things, however, will turn him into a regular folk hero especially if Gallagher succeeds in the NHL.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 4
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 6
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 14
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)