Sep 27, 2012, 7:33 PM EST
Josh Gorges is spending the lockout doing things a little bit different. Rather than run off to Europe, he’s taking his time out to help out a potential future star in Montreal in Brendan Gallagher.
Pat Hickey of the Montreal Gazette hears from Gorges about why he’s doing it and just who Gallagher reminds him of.
“He reminds me a lot of Brian Gionta,” Gorges said. “He’s not afraid to get into the dirty areas around the net where you hack and whack. He came really close to making this team last year, and I thought if I could help him a bit. I know that when I was 19 at the San Jose camp, Scott Hannan took me under his wing and helped me out. I’m trying to do the same thing for Brendan.”
There’s a few reasons why Gorges has been a fan favorite in Montreal, most of them having to do with his tough defensive play. Doing these sorts of things, however, will turn him into a regular folk hero especially if Gallagher succeeds in the NHL.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)