Sep 27, 2012, 12:10 PM EST
Don Cherry thinks North American NHL players should stay in North America during the lockout instead of heading overseas to “take jobs away.”
Grapes made his opinion known Wednesday on Twitter.
It wasn’t the first time he’s tweeted on the subject. Last week, he wrote: “I don’t blame the Europeans for going to play in Europe but you millionaires you’re supposed to be a union. Stay together and fight the good fight on this side of the ocean instead of going over and taking jobs from some poor guy trying to make a living.”
Cherry was a career minor-leaguer, so it’s understandable he’s sticking up for hockey’s fringe players.
But for the owners of European clubs, it’s a no-brainer to try and sign NHL stars, particularly homegrown ones that fans will pay to see.
And for NHLers that want to play instead of just train, Europe gives them the best opportunity to compete and stay sharp while making a nice chunk of change at the same time.
And for the NHLPA, it provides leverage in its dispute with the NHL. After all, if players aren’t sitting at home doing (and making) nothing, they’re less likely to give in to the league’s demands.
That said, it’s worth noting that the NHL officials’ union has asked its members to refrain from working in other leagues or over in Europe during the lockout so as not to take jobs away from others.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:59 AM EST
Darryl Sutter must like what he sees with the advantage.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:03 AM EST
Dec 28, 2014, 12:36 AM EST
Meanwhile, the Rangers are playing OK.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
Battle of California tonight.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:47 PM EST
Some controversy in this game, too.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:02 PM EST
Same old, same old.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:48 PM EST
Holy puck possession!
Dec 27, 2014, 10:27 PM EST
Physical game between these teams.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:46 PM EST
These teams, as we all know, don’t care for each other.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:32 PM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
This had been brewing for some time.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:27 PM EST
No call on the play.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Injury occurred on a clean hit along the boards.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:28 PM EST
Interesting times for the Devils.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Starting to tighten up in the Eastern Conference standings.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:26 PM EST
Minnesota has recalled John Curry.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:02 PM EST
Was fired three games into the 2013-14 season.
Dec 27, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
St. Louis will host the Dallas Stars.
Dec 27, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Will that last?
Dec 27, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
He’s been dealing with a back injury.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)