Sep 27, 2012, 12:10 PM EDT
Don Cherry thinks North American NHL players should stay in North America during the lockout instead of heading overseas to “take jobs away.”
Grapes made his opinion known Wednesday on Twitter.
It wasn’t the first time he’s tweeted on the subject. Last week, he wrote: “I don’t blame the Europeans for going to play in Europe but you millionaires you’re supposed to be a union. Stay together and fight the good fight on this side of the ocean instead of going over and taking jobs from some poor guy trying to make a living.”
Cherry was a career minor-leaguer, so it’s understandable he’s sticking up for hockey’s fringe players.
But for the owners of European clubs, it’s a no-brainer to try and sign NHL stars, particularly homegrown ones that fans will pay to see.
And for NHLers that want to play instead of just train, Europe gives them the best opportunity to compete and stay sharp while making a nice chunk of change at the same time.
And for the NHLPA, it provides leverage in its dispute with the NHL. After all, if players aren’t sitting at home doing (and making) nothing, they’re less likely to give in to the league’s demands.
That said, it’s worth noting that the NHL officials’ union has asked its members to refrain from working in other leagues or over in Europe during the lockout so as not to take jobs away from others.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (37)