Sep 27, 2012, 12:10 PM EDT
Don Cherry thinks North American NHL players should stay in North America during the lockout instead of heading overseas to “take jobs away.”
Grapes made his opinion known Wednesday on Twitter.
It wasn’t the first time he’s tweeted on the subject. Last week, he wrote: “I don’t blame the Europeans for going to play in Europe but you millionaires you’re supposed to be a union. Stay together and fight the good fight on this side of the ocean instead of going over and taking jobs from some poor guy trying to make a living.”
Cherry was a career minor-leaguer, so it’s understandable he’s sticking up for hockey’s fringe players.
But for the owners of European clubs, it’s a no-brainer to try and sign NHL stars, particularly homegrown ones that fans will pay to see.
And for NHLers that want to play instead of just train, Europe gives them the best opportunity to compete and stay sharp while making a nice chunk of change at the same time.
And for the NHLPA, it provides leverage in its dispute with the NHL. After all, if players aren’t sitting at home doing (and making) nothing, they’re less likely to give in to the league’s demands.
That said, it’s worth noting that the NHL officials’ union has asked its members to refrain from working in other leagues or over in Europe during the lockout so as not to take jobs away from others.
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 4
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)