Sep 27, 2012, 8:49 PM EDT
The news of the NHL and the NHLPA deciding to meet tomorrow for the first time since the start of the lockout helped bring a bit of positive news to a dreary time in the league. Add to that they’re set to spend a few days talking and it’s enough to hold out hope the regular season would start on time.
NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly is here to make sure we don’t get too far ahead of ourselves as he shares his thoughts on what has to happen to make progress to Ira Podell of the AP.
“I’ll reserve judgment on my sense of ‘optimism’ (or not) until we see how our meetings unfold,” Daly said in an email to The Associated Press. “Ultimately, we have to meet and talk to make a deal. But until we make progress and see some compromise from the Union of their economic position, we won’t be going anywhere fast.
“We will see.”
It sounds harsh and obviously Daly has his side of the situation to protect but there’s a smidgen of truth in there. Both sides do need to come ready to negotiate. The virtual stare-down hasn’t gotten anyone anywhere yet.
With the two sides looking to talk about secondary issues, however, don’t go thinking things will get solved after the weekend.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 3
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 10
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)