Sep 27, 2012, 8:49 PM EST
The news of the NHL and the NHLPA deciding to meet tomorrow for the first time since the start of the lockout helped bring a bit of positive news to a dreary time in the league. Add to that they’re set to spend a few days talking and it’s enough to hold out hope the regular season would start on time.
NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly is here to make sure we don’t get too far ahead of ourselves as he shares his thoughts on what has to happen to make progress to Ira Podell of the AP.
“I’ll reserve judgment on my sense of ‘optimism’ (or not) until we see how our meetings unfold,” Daly said in an email to The Associated Press. “Ultimately, we have to meet and talk to make a deal. But until we make progress and see some compromise from the Union of their economic position, we won’t be going anywhere fast.
“We will see.”
It sounds harsh and obviously Daly has his side of the situation to protect but there’s a smidgen of truth in there. Both sides do need to come ready to negotiate. The virtual stare-down hasn’t gotten anyone anywhere yet.
With the two sides looking to talk about secondary issues, however, don’t go thinking things will get solved after the weekend.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 14
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 28
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 5
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 67
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 64
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 32
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)