Sep 27, 2012, 8:49 PM EDT
The news of the NHL and the NHLPA deciding to meet tomorrow for the first time since the start of the lockout helped bring a bit of positive news to a dreary time in the league. Add to that they’re set to spend a few days talking and it’s enough to hold out hope the regular season would start on time.
NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly is here to make sure we don’t get too far ahead of ourselves as he shares his thoughts on what has to happen to make progress to Ira Podell of the AP.
“I’ll reserve judgment on my sense of ‘optimism’ (or not) until we see how our meetings unfold,” Daly said in an email to The Associated Press. “Ultimately, we have to meet and talk to make a deal. But until we make progress and see some compromise from the Union of their economic position, we won’t be going anywhere fast.
“We will see.”
It sounds harsh and obviously Daly has his side of the situation to protect but there’s a smidgen of truth in there. Both sides do need to come ready to negotiate. The virtual stare-down hasn’t gotten anyone anywhere yet.
With the two sides looking to talk about secondary issues, however, don’t go thinking things will get solved after the weekend.
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)