Sep 27, 2012, 8:49 PM EST
The news of the NHL and the NHLPA deciding to meet tomorrow for the first time since the start of the lockout helped bring a bit of positive news to a dreary time in the league. Add to that they’re set to spend a few days talking and it’s enough to hold out hope the regular season would start on time.
NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly is here to make sure we don’t get too far ahead of ourselves as he shares his thoughts on what has to happen to make progress to Ira Podell of the AP.
“I’ll reserve judgment on my sense of ‘optimism’ (or not) until we see how our meetings unfold,” Daly said in an email to The Associated Press. “Ultimately, we have to meet and talk to make a deal. But until we make progress and see some compromise from the Union of their economic position, we won’t be going anywhere fast.
“We will see.”
It sounds harsh and obviously Daly has his side of the situation to protect but there’s a smidgen of truth in there. Both sides do need to come ready to negotiate. The virtual stare-down hasn’t gotten anyone anywhere yet.
With the two sides looking to talk about secondary issues, however, don’t go thinking things will get solved after the weekend.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 14
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 48
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)