Sep 27, 2012, 10:58 AM EDT
After yesterday’s news that Nail Yakupov’s KHL transfer was deemed illegal, Canadian Hockey League president David Branch explained the 2012 first overall pick is still under contract to OHL Sarnia.
“He hasn’t been released,” Branch told Yahoo!’s Sunaya Sapurji. “It certainly caught those of us in the league office off guard because he suddenly was reported as playing in the KHL. We had no knowledge of that.”
Yakupov appeared in two games for KHL club Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk without, it was later revealed, an approved IIHF international transfer card.
Chris Johnston of the Canadian Press reported Hockey Canada refused to sign off on the ITC because it believed his rights remained with Sarnia, something Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson confirmed to Yahoo!
It’s also worth nothing Branch addressed rumors that Sarnia had “no problem” with Yakupov playing in Russia. Even though the Sting have been publicly supportive of Yakupov’s move to the KHL, Branch said he’s received a different message altogether.
“In terms of Sarnia, that is not what they are telling us,” said Branch.
Sting GM and head coach Jacques Beaulieu said the club would welcome Yakupov “with open arms,” but also said that “we’re not in the business of holding people back.”
The saga continues…
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)