Sep 27, 2012, 10:58 AM EDT
After yesterday’s news that Nail Yakupov’s KHL transfer was deemed illegal, Canadian Hockey League president David Branch explained the 2012 first overall pick is still under contract to OHL Sarnia.
“He hasn’t been released,” Branch told Yahoo!’s Sunaya Sapurji. “It certainly caught those of us in the league office off guard because he suddenly was reported as playing in the KHL. We had no knowledge of that.”
Yakupov appeared in two games for KHL club Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk without, it was later revealed, an approved IIHF international transfer card.
Chris Johnston of the Canadian Press reported Hockey Canada refused to sign off on the ITC because it believed his rights remained with Sarnia, something Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson confirmed to Yahoo!
It’s also worth nothing Branch addressed rumors that Sarnia had “no problem” with Yakupov playing in Russia. Even though the Sting have been publicly supportive of Yakupov’s move to the KHL, Branch said he’s received a different message altogether.
“In terms of Sarnia, that is not what they are telling us,” said Branch.
Sting GM and head coach Jacques Beaulieu said the club would welcome Yakupov “with open arms,” but also said that “we’re not in the business of holding people back.”
The saga continues…
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 0
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 6
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 9
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)