Sep 27, 2012, 4:20 PM EDT
If an NHL team finds its way to Brooklyn to play in the new Barclays Center, it won’t be owned by Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov.
That’s because Prokhorov tells the New York Post he won’t consider buying an NHL team until his Nets win an NBA championship.
And obviously that’s never going to happen.
(Kidding, kidding, I have no idea if the Nets are any good. Derrick Coleman still on the team?)
Of course, just because Prokhorov has no plans to buy a hockey team doesn’t mean there won’t be one playing in Brooklyn soon. Developer Bruce Ratner is the majority owner of the Barclays Center, and he’s been “trying like hell” to convince the New York Islanders to move into his arena once their lease at the Nassau Coliseum expires in 2015.
The Barclays Center isn’t an ideal option for the Isles, or any NHL team for that matter. Its seating capacity for hockey is just 14,500, which would make it the smallest in the league.
Plus, it looks like a big rusty barn.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Chara suffers undisclosed issue, won’t return on Thursday 14
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)