Sep 27, 2012, 4:49 PM EDT
Lokomotiv Yaroslavl has signed another high-profile NHLer, agreeing to terms with Colorado Avalanche netminder Semyon Varlamov.
The club announced the signing on Thursday, along with confirmation that Florida defenseman Dmitry Kulikov would also be joining the fold.
The move to Yaroslavl is a homecoming for the 24-year-old ‘tender. RIA Novosti reports Varlamov played with Lokomotiv from age 11 — including two years with the senior team — before jumping to the Washington Capitals organization in 2008.
“I feel like I’ve never left the team,” he said in a video interview to Lokomotiv’s website. “Four years have passed like one day.”
Varlamov is coming off a solid first season in Colorado where he started slowly, but gained confidence down the stretch and carried the Avs through a late season playoff push.
He appeared in a career-high 53 games (winning a career-high 26) and finished with a .913 save percentage and 2.59 GAA.
By signing Varlamov and Kuliov, Lokomotiv filled their final two import spots for the 2012-13 season (Columbus’ Artem Anisimov was the third.)
The trio will join a number of ex-NHLers in Yaroslavl: Viktor Kozlov, Mark Flood, Nicklas Hagman, Staffan Kronwall, Curtis Sanford, Sami Lepisto and Vitaly Vishnevsky.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 20
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 5
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 9
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)