Sep 26, 2012, 7:33 PM EDT
If Nail Yakupov’s take is any indication, the IIHF’s issues with his transfer eligibilty will merely place his KHL stint on hold.
"Everything will be worked out in the near future & I will once again continue to play for my hometown club Neftekhimik." @Nail10_1993 tweet—
Dmitry Chesnokov (@dchesnokov) September 26, 2012
This earlier post indicates that the Edmonton Oilers are fine with Yakupov playing in the KHL and that they merely “assigned” him to return to the OHL’s Sarnia Sting for paperwork reasons.
Still, Katie Strang caught up with CHL commissioner David Branch, who said that he hadn’t heard anything from the IIHF or Hockey Canada about Yakupov.
While it looks like Yakupov will return to the KHL sooner or later, the IIHF might be using this situation to prove that it will go the extra mile to make sure that both leagues honor contracts.
In case you’re wondering, Yakupov went pointless and had a -1 rating in the two KHL games he played so far.
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 3
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 16
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 21
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 62
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights