Sep 26, 2012, 7:33 PM EDT
If Nail Yakupov’s take is any indication, the IIHF’s issues with his transfer eligibilty will merely place his KHL stint on hold.
"Everything will be worked out in the near future & I will once again continue to play for my hometown club Neftekhimik." @Nail10_1993 tweet—
Dmitry Chesnokov (@dchesnokov) September 26, 2012
This earlier post indicates that the Edmonton Oilers are fine with Yakupov playing in the KHL and that they merely “assigned” him to return to the OHL’s Sarnia Sting for paperwork reasons.
Still, Katie Strang caught up with CHL commissioner David Branch, who said that he hadn’t heard anything from the IIHF or Hockey Canada about Yakupov.
While it looks like Yakupov will return to the KHL sooner or later, the IIHF might be using this situation to prove that it will go the extra mile to make sure that both leagues honor contracts.
In case you’re wondering, Yakupov went pointless and had a -1 rating in the two KHL games he played so far.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)