Sep 26, 2012, 11:54 AM EST
Unlike many pundits, TSN’s Bob McKenzie isn’t one for hyperbole. So when he says the 2012-13 NHL season is in serious jeopardy due to the lockout, the NHL season is probably in serious jeopardy due to the lockout.
And unfortunately, that’s what he’s saying.
“I’m not at all optimistic that there’s going to be hockey this year,” McKenzie said Tuesday during TSN’s Insider Trading segment (video). “I think this season is very much in peril.”
McKenzie’s colleague, Darren Dreger, isn’t very optimistic either, citing the main sticking point in the league’s labor dispute – the NHL is insisting on paying the players less than the $1.87 billion they earned last year, and the players are steadfastly refusing to accept anything less than $1.87 billion.
On the bright(ish) side, Pierre LeBrun stills thinks there will be a season, though he maintains the next phase of negotiations, starting Friday, is make or break: “This is the ballgame.”
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)