Sep 26, 2012, 1:49 PM EDT
The last time Sidney Crosby played a hockey game, his Pittsburgh Penguins were blown out of the rink, 5-1, by their most hated rival, the Philadelphia Flyers.
The loss eliminated the Stanley Cup favorite Pens from the playoffs – in the first round no less – capping a tumultuous season for Crosby in which a concussion limited him to 28 appearances, regular season and playoffs combined.
Think he wants a work stoppage to cancel the entire 2012-13 schedule?
The 25-year-old Penguins captain spoke to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Tuesday and expressed his desire for something more than just scrimmaging with locked-out teammates.
“You enjoy playing, but I think competing is what you play for,” Crosby said.
But at the moment, the best competition is overseas. And while a number of stars have hooked up with European clubs, most of the players in leagues like the KHL and SEL aren’t NHL caliber. Is that the sort of competition that would satisfy Crosby? That’s debatable.
At any rate, Crosby has no immediate plans to go overseas and remains hopeful the lockout will end before the NHL season has to be scrubbed.
“I don’t see it going that long, but there hasn’t been a lot of progress the past couple weeks,” he said. “We’ve kind of been at a standstill. Hopefully, it’s one or two meetings away, and everything starts rolling.”
In the meantime, it’s worth wondering whether Crosby could or would use his star status to push the NHLPA to make a deal.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)