Sep 26, 2012, 1:49 PM EST
The last time Sidney Crosby played a hockey game, his Pittsburgh Penguins were blown out of the rink, 5-1, by their most hated rival, the Philadelphia Flyers.
The loss eliminated the Stanley Cup favorite Pens from the playoffs – in the first round no less – capping a tumultuous season for Crosby in which a concussion limited him to 28 appearances, regular season and playoffs combined.
Think he wants a work stoppage to cancel the entire 2012-13 schedule?
The 25-year-old Penguins captain spoke to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Tuesday and expressed his desire for something more than just scrimmaging with locked-out teammates.
“You enjoy playing, but I think competing is what you play for,” Crosby said.
But at the moment, the best competition is overseas. And while a number of stars have hooked up with European clubs, most of the players in leagues like the KHL and SEL aren’t NHL caliber. Is that the sort of competition that would satisfy Crosby? That’s debatable.
At any rate, Crosby has no immediate plans to go overseas and remains hopeful the lockout will end before the NHL season has to be scrubbed.
“I don’t see it going that long, but there hasn’t been a lot of progress the past couple weeks,” he said. “We’ve kind of been at a standstill. Hopefully, it’s one or two meetings away, and everything starts rolling.”
In the meantime, it’s worth wondering whether Crosby could or would use his star status to push the NHLPA to make a deal.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 1
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 56
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)