Sep 26, 2012, 10:47 PM EST
Veteran winger Todd Bertuzzi admits he’s heard that a lengthy lockout can benefit older players, but he told the Detroit Free Press that he doubts it would do him much good.
“It’s not ideal,” Bertuzzi said. “If I have to miss a year, I hear sometimes it benefits the older players, but I don’t think it really does. I think you have to be consistently playing, being active and all that.
“You usually train for two, two and-a-half months in the summer and then maintain (heading into training camp). But we’re going on three months of training right now and it kind of gets groundhog day-ish.”
It’s actually quite fun to picture Bertuzzi as Bill Murray during this process – right down to sporting that hangdog face whenever he’s ambling through practice drills.
If there’s one thing that bothers Bertuzzi as much as a third “Ghostbusters” movie bugs Murray, it’s the prospect of the 2013 Winter Classic being canceled.
“I’ve always wanted to play in one of those,” Bertuzzi said. “That would be pretty tough to miss.”
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 0
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 33
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)