Sep 26, 2012, 10:47 PM EDT
Veteran winger Todd Bertuzzi admits he’s heard that a lengthy lockout can benefit older players, but he told the Detroit Free Press that he doubts it would do him much good.
“It’s not ideal,” Bertuzzi said. “If I have to miss a year, I hear sometimes it benefits the older players, but I don’t think it really does. I think you have to be consistently playing, being active and all that.
“You usually train for two, two and-a-half months in the summer and then maintain (heading into training camp). But we’re going on three months of training right now and it kind of gets groundhog day-ish.”
It’s actually quite fun to picture Bertuzzi as Bill Murray during this process – right down to sporting that hangdog face whenever he’s ambling through practice drills.
If there’s one thing that bothers Bertuzzi as much as a third “Ghostbusters” movie bugs Murray, it’s the prospect of the 2013 Winter Classic being canceled.
“I’ve always wanted to play in one of those,” Bertuzzi said. “That would be pretty tough to miss.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)