Sep 26, 2012, 10:47 PM EST
Veteran winger Todd Bertuzzi admits he’s heard that a lengthy lockout can benefit older players, but he told the Detroit Free Press that he doubts it would do him much good.
“It’s not ideal,” Bertuzzi said. “If I have to miss a year, I hear sometimes it benefits the older players, but I don’t think it really does. I think you have to be consistently playing, being active and all that.
“You usually train for two, two and-a-half months in the summer and then maintain (heading into training camp). But we’re going on three months of training right now and it kind of gets groundhog day-ish.”
It’s actually quite fun to picture Bertuzzi as Bill Murray during this process – right down to sporting that hangdog face whenever he’s ambling through practice drills.
If there’s one thing that bothers Bertuzzi as much as a third “Ghostbusters” movie bugs Murray, it’s the prospect of the 2013 Winter Classic being canceled.
“I’ve always wanted to play in one of those,” Bertuzzi said. “That would be pretty tough to miss.”
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 14
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 7
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 16
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)