Sep 26, 2012, 10:47 PM EDT
Veteran winger Todd Bertuzzi admits he’s heard that a lengthy lockout can benefit older players, but he told the Detroit Free Press that he doubts it would do him much good.
“It’s not ideal,” Bertuzzi said. “If I have to miss a year, I hear sometimes it benefits the older players, but I don’t think it really does. I think you have to be consistently playing, being active and all that.
“You usually train for two, two and-a-half months in the summer and then maintain (heading into training camp). But we’re going on three months of training right now and it kind of gets groundhog day-ish.”
It’s actually quite fun to picture Bertuzzi as Bill Murray during this process – right down to sporting that hangdog face whenever he’s ambling through practice drills.
If there’s one thing that bothers Bertuzzi as much as a third “Ghostbusters” movie bugs Murray, it’s the prospect of the 2013 Winter Classic being canceled.
“I’ve always wanted to play in one of those,” Bertuzzi said. “That would be pretty tough to miss.”
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)