Sep 26, 2012, 9:52 PM EST
They’ll get some or all of their money from NHL teams through a combination of factors: signing bonuses, injury pay or escrow.
To little surprise, this offseason’s splashiest acquisitions were among the players who are the best protected from a work stoppage. Kevin Allen goes into greater detail on a few:
- Shea Weber will miss just $1 million in salary while receiving his hefty $13 million bonus if there’s no season; Ryan Suter and Zach Parise‘s $10 million bonuses will keep them cozy.
- Slightly less recent guys are covered too, as Tyler Myers and Brad Richards are among the NHLers who will sweat the lockout the least thanks to similar bonuses.
- Injury-wise, Marian Gaborik will receive a hefty sum as long as doctors don’t clear him to play. Concussion problems will mean steady paychecks for guys like Marc Savard and Chris Pronger, too.
On the other hand, there are guys who can relate to Mike Modano and Jeremy Roenick because of the big salaries they’d miss out on if 2012-13 is erased altogether.
No wonder Ovechkin is making those big threats.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 19
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)