Sep 26, 2012, 9:52 PM EDT
They’ll get some or all of their money from NHL teams through a combination of factors: signing bonuses, injury pay or escrow.
To little surprise, this offseason’s splashiest acquisitions were among the players who are the best protected from a work stoppage. Kevin Allen goes into greater detail on a few:
- Shea Weber will miss just $1 million in salary while receiving his hefty $13 million bonus if there’s no season; Ryan Suter and Zach Parise‘s $10 million bonuses will keep them cozy.
- Slightly less recent guys are covered too, as Tyler Myers and Brad Richards are among the NHLers who will sweat the lockout the least thanks to similar bonuses.
- Injury-wise, Marian Gaborik will receive a hefty sum as long as doctors don’t clear him to play. Concussion problems will mean steady paychecks for guys like Marc Savard and Chris Pronger, too.
On the other hand, there are guys who can relate to Mike Modano and Jeremy Roenick because of the big salaries they’d miss out on if 2012-13 is erased altogether.
No wonder Ovechkin is making those big threats.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)