Sep 25, 2012, 6:12 PM EDT
You can go home again even if you’re the butt of jokes. Former Canucks goalie Dan Cloutier was hired by the team to be their new goaltending consultant.
The former first-round pick of the New York Rangers spent 11 seasons in the NHL and while he never quite lived up to the billing of a top pick, his career never lacked for highlights.
Whether it came from fighting other goalies (Tommy Salo still has nightmares) or giving up crushing center ice goals in the playoffs (Red Wings fans are still thankful), Cloutier had a memorable career. His time in Vancouver as a player was perhaps the high point of his time as a player, leading the Canucks to the playoffs three years in a row and reaching the second round in 2002-03.
Now he’s back in Vancouver to work with the organizations goalies in Chicago of the AHL. There he’ll spend a lot of time with prospect Eddie Lack. Maybe there he can teach him a mean right cross while helping him avoid heartbreaking goals like this one:
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)