Sep 25, 2012, 1:49 PM EST
That’s the word from Rinne’s agent, Jay Grossman, who confirmed on Tuesday that Rinne would replace Backstrom as Dinamo Minsk’s import goalie after the Minnesota ‘tender injured his ankle prior to signing.
Back on Sept. 18, Backstrom was reportedly “close” to joining the KHL club but hadn’t put pen to paper because of insurance and visa issues.
That sequence of events opened the door for Rinne to reunite with Finnish goalie guru Ari Hilly, now the goaltending coach in Minsk.
Hilly’s presence is a big reason why Backstrom wanted to join Dinamo — the two worked together for Finnish League outfit Karpat from 2002-06, a stretch that saw Backstrom win two Urpo Ylonen trophies as the league’s top goaltender.
Yesterday, Minsk sports director Igor Matushkin alluded to a “top level” NHL replacement for Backstrom, but did so without naming Rinne as the guy.
Such a big splash from the Belorussian club shouldn’t come as a surprise — Minsk made waves earlier this summer by securing the services of former Jets forward Tim Stapleton. The 30-year-old forward surprised some by jumping to the KHL after an impressive 2011-12 campaign with Winnipeg, one where he posted career highs in goals (11), assists (16) and points (27).
Other noteworthy names on the Minsk roster include Jere Karalahti, Lukas Krajicek and Cory Murphy.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 29
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 46
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 16
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 32
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 11
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 49
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 49
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 48
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)