Sep 25, 2012, 1:49 PM EDT
That’s the word from Rinne’s agent, Jay Grossman, who confirmed on Tuesday that Rinne would replace Backstrom as Dinamo Minsk’s import goalie after the Minnesota ‘tender injured his ankle prior to signing.
Back on Sept. 18, Backstrom was reportedly “close” to joining the KHL club but hadn’t put pen to paper because of insurance and visa issues.
That sequence of events opened the door for Rinne to reunite with Finnish goalie guru Ari Hilly, now the goaltending coach in Minsk.
Hilly’s presence is a big reason why Backstrom wanted to join Dinamo — the two worked together for Finnish League outfit Karpat from 2002-06, a stretch that saw Backstrom win two Urpo Ylonen trophies as the league’s top goaltender.
Yesterday, Minsk sports director Igor Matushkin alluded to a “top level” NHL replacement for Backstrom, but did so without naming Rinne as the guy.
Such a big splash from the Belorussian club shouldn’t come as a surprise — Minsk made waves earlier this summer by securing the services of former Jets forward Tim Stapleton. The 30-year-old forward surprised some by jumping to the KHL after an impressive 2011-12 campaign with Winnipeg, one where he posted career highs in goals (11), assists (16) and points (27).
Other noteworthy names on the Minsk roster include Jere Karalahti, Lukas Krajicek and Cory Murphy.
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 4
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 24
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 18
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)