Sep 25, 2012, 11:12 AM EDT
A pair of ex-Washington teammates have decided to take their games to Europe.
The first is Brooks Laich, on his way to Switzerland to sign with the National League A’s Kloten Flyers.
The news was first reported by Swiss/Italian news outlet Ticinoline (with a picture of Troy Brouwer heading the sports section, but I digress…)
In Kloten, Laich will join ex-NHLers Tommi Santala and Micki Dupont and will be coached by former Blackhawks bench boss Alpo Suhonen.
The move means Washington has three players plying their trade abroad: Laich, Alex Ovechkin (KHL), Michal Neuvirth (Czech Extraliga) and a former player, Alex Semin, who on Tuesday announced he’d be playing in the Russian second division — the VHL — for Sokol, his hometown team.
“I’m proud that the opportunity’s emerged for me to play for my hometown club,” Semin said on the VHL website.
“This club is where my hockey life started and so I’ll feel extremely good to wear a Sokol jersey. I’m happy that my relatives, friends and fans will be able to come to matches I’m playing in.”
According to Puck Daddy’s Dmitry Chesnokov, reports indicate Semin will play for Sokol for free “to give back to the club and the city.”
But hey, it’s not like Semin really needs the money after signing a one-year, $7 million deal with Carolina in late July.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 2
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 12
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 19
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)