Sep 25, 2012, 4:42 PM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers forward Max Talbot says he expects a sellout crowd on Thursday when he and fellow NHLers play in the inaugural game of “Le Tournée des Joueurs” — the player’s tour.
“It’s a way to keep in shape and raise some money for charity,” Talbot told the Montreal Gazette. “We hope to play twice a week on Thursday and Friday nights. We’ve had a lot of arenas around the province express interest in having games, and we’ll talk to the players and see what works best.”
The first game will take place at the Centre Multisports in Chageauguay, a suburb of Montreal. Players expected to participate in the contest include Talbot, Bruno Gervais, Brian Gionta, David Desharnais, Josh Gorges, Colby Armstrong, Simon Gagne, Kris Letang, Danny Briere, Alex Burrows, Marc-Andre Fleury, David Perron, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Mathieu Darche, Guillaume Latendresse and Steve Begin.
The tour will feature 20 minute periods and full five-on-five action, in an effort to simulate real games. The brainchild of Talbot and Gervais, the tour has received support from Joel Bouchard, an ex-NHLer that ran a similar “caravan” league during the 2004-05 work stoppage.
“Our format was a little different because we played 4-on-4, but we had 16 games over eight weeks and they were all sold out,” Bouchard told the Gazette. “I talked to Bruno and gave him some advice and wished them luck because he and Max are good guys who are involved in the community.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 9
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)