Sep 25, 2012, 4:42 PM EDT
Philadelphia Flyers forward Max Talbot says he expects a sellout crowd on Thursday when he and fellow NHLers play in the inaugural game of “Le Tournée des Joueurs” — the player’s tour.
“It’s a way to keep in shape and raise some money for charity,” Talbot told the Montreal Gazette. “We hope to play twice a week on Thursday and Friday nights. We’ve had a lot of arenas around the province express interest in having games, and we’ll talk to the players and see what works best.”
The first game will take place at the Centre Multisports in Chageauguay, a suburb of Montreal. Players expected to participate in the contest include Talbot, Bruno Gervais, Brian Gionta, David Desharnais, Josh Gorges, Colby Armstrong, Simon Gagne, Kris Letang, Danny Briere, Alex Burrows, Marc-Andre Fleury, David Perron, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Mathieu Darche, Guillaume Latendresse and Steve Begin.
The tour will feature 20 minute periods and full five-on-five action, in an effort to simulate real games. The brainchild of Talbot and Gervais, the tour has received support from Joel Bouchard, an ex-NHLer that ran a similar “caravan” league during the 2004-05 work stoppage.
“Our format was a little different because we played 4-on-4, but we had 16 games over eight weeks and they were all sold out,” Bouchard told the Gazette. “I talked to Bruno and gave him some advice and wished them luck because he and Max are good guys who are involved in the community.”
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 1
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 8
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)