Sep 25, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
The agent for Tampa Bay blueliner Victor Hedman says his client has agreed to terms with KHL outfit Barys Astana.
Peter Wallen — a Stockholm-based Octagon agent that also represents Gabriel Landeskog and Patrick Berglund — confirmed to the Tampa Bay Times that Hedman will be off to Kazakhstan to join a Barys team that’s been agressive in its pursuit of players with NHL experience.
The team has already secured the services of one locked-out NHLer (Winnipeg’s Nik Antropov) and a slew ex-NHLers: Nigel Dawes, Dustin Boyd, Brandon Bochenski and Andrew Hutchinson.
Hedman is coming off a frustrating 2011-12 campaign that saw him miss 21 games to various aliments, including a concussion that cost him over a month of action.
Just prior to suffering the concussion, Hedman signed a five-year, $20 million extension with the Lightning, one that will keep him in Tampa Bay until 2017.
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 32
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 14
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M
- Play Video: Quick gloves a few Sharks
- Play Video: Dustin Brown shaken up after collision
- Play Video: Are the Red Wings a true contender?
- Play Video: Chara bleeds after being struck by high-stick
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3