Sep 25, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
Wayne Gretzky wants everyone to know he was only in Seattle yesterday to watch the Seahawks play the Green Bay Packers.
What he wasn’t in Seattle to do was help Oilers owner Darryl Katz explore a move to the Pacific Northwest.
“That’s the last time I go to a football game,” Gretzky told FAN 590 radio Tuesday.
The Oilers didn’t deny that Katz and other club execs were in Seattle to gauge a potential Plan B should they fail to reach a deal with the City of Edmonton to build a new downtown arena.
But again, Gretzky isn’t involved in that. Nor is he involved in any other NHL matters.
He did, however, handicap the Oilers’ chances of relocating.
“Probably zero,” he said, suggesting the club and city aren’t really that far apart in their negotiations.
“I just can’t imagine a deal not getting done.”
Gretzky also used Phoenix as an example of the NHL’s commitment to keeping franchises from relocating.
“The National Hockey League does not want franchises to move,” he said. “They want to build those franchises, stabilize those franchises, and keep those fans who have supported those teams comfortable.”
Oh, and he said he left the stadium before the rather controversial final play of the Seahawks-Packers game.
“We tried to beat the traffic,” he joked. “We’re an L.A. crowd.”
(Actually he had to catch a flight home.)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)