Sep 25, 2012, 4:20 PM EDT
Could more controversy be on the way?
Depends on how the public reacts to Booth’s latest tweet — a picture of what appears to be a deceased elk (with Booth seemingly responsible for the elk’s demise.)
“Just killing time…And Wapiti in Montana,” the photo caption reads.
Booth, an avid hunter, received a lot of blowback after posting his bear baiting pictures — and video — in May.
“We find that kind of hunting appalling — he’s a well-know hockey player who’s a role model for many, particularly young people,” Vancouver Humane Society spokesman Peter Fricker said. “He’s setting a very bad example, and I’m not surprised he’s getting such a negative reaction.”
Jason Botchford, a Canucks reporter for the Vancouver Province, wondered if the incident would affect Booth’s relationship with the organization long-term:
Would a poor judgment call which led to him posting a kill video from a hunting expedition, where he bear baited, be enough to push the image conscious Canucks to trade him less than a year after they acquired him?
Not likely. Even though they were irked in a “what the hell was this guy thinking” sort of way.
But, let’s be real, posting a video of some legal hunting, however disturbing, is not how Booth inflicted his most damage on the Canucks. No, he took care of that in the first round of the playoffs.
It’s worth mentioning that Vancouver is where Greenpeace was founded in 1971.
As such, the “poor judgement” and “what the hell was this guy thinking” arguments could make their way back to the surface, because there’s not a real solid explanation as to why Booth would post another kill, especially after the heat he took five months ago.
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 7
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 14
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 40
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31