Sep 25, 2012, 4:20 PM EDT
Could more controversy be on the way?
Depends on how the public reacts to Booth’s latest tweet — a picture of what appears to be a deceased elk (with Booth seemingly responsible for the elk’s demise.)
“Just killing time…And Wapiti in Montana,” the photo caption reads.
Booth, an avid hunter, received a lot of blowback after posting his bear baiting pictures — and video — in May.
“We find that kind of hunting appalling — he’s a well-know hockey player who’s a role model for many, particularly young people,” Vancouver Humane Society spokesman Peter Fricker said. “He’s setting a very bad example, and I’m not surprised he’s getting such a negative reaction.”
Jason Botchford, a Canucks reporter for the Vancouver Province, wondered if the incident would affect Booth’s relationship with the organization long-term:
Would a poor judgment call which led to him posting a kill video from a hunting expedition, where he bear baited, be enough to push the image conscious Canucks to trade him less than a year after they acquired him?
Not likely. Even though they were irked in a “what the hell was this guy thinking” sort of way.
But, let’s be real, posting a video of some legal hunting, however disturbing, is not how Booth inflicted his most damage on the Canucks. No, he took care of that in the first round of the playoffs.
It’s worth mentioning that Vancouver is where Greenpeace was founded in 1971.
As such, the “poor judgement” and “what the hell was this guy thinking” arguments could make their way back to the surface, because there’s not a real solid explanation as to why Booth would post another kill, especially after the heat he took five months ago.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)