Sep 24, 2012, 7:51 PM EDT
You can celebrate now, Seattle – you’re almost definitely getting a new arena.
The Seattle City Council voted in favor of new legislation, by a 6-2 margin, to build a new downtown arena to try and bring the NBA and possibly the NHL to the city. The plan was initially approved two weeks ago, but other details had to be worked out and re-approved. Of course, the whole deal is contingent on an NBA or NHL team moving there to make it happen.
While the aim of the new building is mainly to bring pro basketball back to town, there’s also interest in bringing pro hockey to town as well to help fill up the new arena, something that’s kept our interest in the story here.
In a curious turn of events, Ian Furness of KJR radio in Seattle reports Edmonton Oilers’ ownership, led by Daryl Katz, happened to be in town to survey Key Arena while Chris Daniels of KING-TV says they’re there to “survey the market.” The timing is a bit obvious.
Katz has been trying to get more money from the Edmonton City Council to help him build a new downtown arena there. The city council has turned him down for that and he’s none too pleased about it, even refusing to meet with them again while relocation has been threatened.
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 1
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 8
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)