Sep 24, 2012, 10:48 AM EDT
Switzerland’s National A League brought yet another star into the fold on Monday as HC Ambri-Piotta inked Montreal Canadiens sniper Max Pacioretty.
Ambri-Piotta is led by former Sharks head coach Kevin Constantine and features a handful of ex-NHLers, including goalie Nolan Schaefer and forwards Jason Williams and Richard Park.
Pacioretty will join Montreal mates Raphael Diaz (EV Zug) and Yannick Weber (Geneva-Servette) in the Swiss league, along with a number of high-profile players plying their trade during the lockout: Rick Nash, Joe Thornton, Jason Spezza, Tyler Seguin, Logan Couture and Mark Streit, to name a few.
Pacioretty told Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette he’s being brought into Ambri-Piotta to help the team reach the postseason.
“(Constantine) called me to tell me their situation – that they haven’t made the playoffs in six or seven years and that they’re not looking for someone who wants to come over on vacation,” the American forward said. “I explained to him that I have intentions of helping them win and playing my heart out.
“I was happy to have that conversation with him.”
Last season, Pacioretty became the first American-born player in Habs history to score 30-plus goals, finishing with 33.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 7
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 11
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 39
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 62
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)