Sep 24, 2012, 10:48 AM EST
Switzerland’s National A League brought yet another star into the fold on Monday as HC Ambri-Piotta inked Montreal Canadiens sniper Max Pacioretty.
Ambri-Piotta is led by former Sharks head coach Kevin Constantine and features a handful of ex-NHLers, including goalie Nolan Schaefer and forwards Jason Williams and Richard Park.
Pacioretty will join Montreal mates Raphael Diaz (EV Zug) and Yannick Weber (Geneva-Servette) in the Swiss league, along with a number of high-profile players plying their trade during the lockout: Rick Nash, Joe Thornton, Jason Spezza, Tyler Seguin, Logan Couture and Mark Streit, to name a few.
Pacioretty told Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette he’s being brought into Ambri-Piotta to help the team reach the postseason.
“(Constantine) called me to tell me their situation – that they haven’t made the playoffs in six or seven years and that they’re not looking for someone who wants to come over on vacation,” the American forward said. “I explained to him that I have intentions of helping them win and playing my heart out.
“I was happy to have that conversation with him.”
Last season, Pacioretty became the first American-born player in Habs history to score 30-plus goals, finishing with 33.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 4
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)