Sep 24, 2012, 10:48 AM EDT
Switzerland’s National A League brought yet another star into the fold on Monday as HC Ambri-Piotta inked Montreal Canadiens sniper Max Pacioretty.
Ambri-Piotta is led by former Sharks head coach Kevin Constantine and features a handful of ex-NHLers, including goalie Nolan Schaefer and forwards Jason Williams and Richard Park.
Pacioretty will join Montreal mates Raphael Diaz (EV Zug) and Yannick Weber (Geneva-Servette) in the Swiss league, along with a number of high-profile players plying their trade during the lockout: Rick Nash, Joe Thornton, Jason Spezza, Tyler Seguin, Logan Couture and Mark Streit, to name a few.
Pacioretty told Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette he’s being brought into Ambri-Piotta to help the team reach the postseason.
“(Constantine) called me to tell me their situation – that they haven’t made the playoffs in six or seven years and that they’re not looking for someone who wants to come over on vacation,” the American forward said. “I explained to him that I have intentions of helping them win and playing my heart out.
“I was happy to have that conversation with him.”
Last season, Pacioretty became the first American-born player in Habs history to score 30-plus goals, finishing with 33.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)