Sep 24, 2012, 10:48 AM EDT
Switzerland’s National A League brought yet another star into the fold on Monday as HC Ambri-Piotta inked Montreal Canadiens sniper Max Pacioretty.
Ambri-Piotta is led by former Sharks head coach Kevin Constantine and features a handful of ex-NHLers, including goalie Nolan Schaefer and forwards Jason Williams and Richard Park.
Pacioretty will join Montreal mates Raphael Diaz (EV Zug) and Yannick Weber (Geneva-Servette) in the Swiss league, along with a number of high-profile players plying their trade during the lockout: Rick Nash, Joe Thornton, Jason Spezza, Tyler Seguin, Logan Couture and Mark Streit, to name a few.
Pacioretty told Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette he’s being brought into Ambri-Piotta to help the team reach the postseason.
“(Constantine) called me to tell me their situation – that they haven’t made the playoffs in six or seven years and that they’re not looking for someone who wants to come over on vacation,” the American forward said. “I explained to him that I have intentions of helping them win and playing my heart out.
“I was happy to have that conversation with him.”
Last season, Pacioretty became the first American-born player in Habs history to score 30-plus goals, finishing with 33.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 47
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 24
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 39
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 30
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 40
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (53)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)