Sep 24, 2012, 8:44 PM EDT
The Oilers are continuing their bold stand to show the city of Edmonton they’re serious about moving the franchise if the city council doesn’t give them more money for a new downtown arena.
Bob Black, the Executive Vice President, Edmonton Arena Corporation, Katz Group issued a statement confirming the group’s meeting with people in Seattle tonight to “evaluate the market.” They also made it clear Seattle isn’t the only city taking an interest in the franchise.
“Nonetheless, and as the City of Edmonton is aware, the Katz Group has been listening to proposals from a number of potential NHL markets for some time. After more than four years of trying to secure an arena deal and with less than 24 months remaining on the Oilers’ lease at Rexall Place, this is only prudent and should come as no surprise.”
Let’s sum things up quick:
– Edmonton City Council pledges $200 million to help pay for a new downtown arena
– Katz tells the council he wants more money from them for the project and they refuse to give in
– Katz says the future of the franchise in Edmonton is in jeopardy without more money and refuses to meet again with the council
The actions from Katz are hostile, at best, and seemingly foolish given that the league is currently locking out its players. Katz might be wise to reevaluate how this whole situation looks.
May 18, 2013, 2:10 PM EDT
It’s his call whether to go or not.
May 18, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
On-ice chatter at its best.
May 18, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
He missed 12 games with a broken thumb.
May 18, 2013, 12:11 PM EDT
Cap troubles and no-trade clauses abound.
May 18, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
He’ll need three months rehab for a third-degree MCL sprain.
May 18, 2013, 10:32 AM EDT
A preview of today’s games is ahead.
May 18, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
Selke finalists show us how it’s done.
May 18, 2013, 1:47 AM EDT
Boston leads New York 1-0 in the series.
May 18, 2013, 12:45 AM EDT
Oh, the mystery.
May 18, 2013, 12:19 AM EDT
Ottawa has yet to play with the lead in this series.
May 17, 2013, 11:59 PM EDT
Ottawa in a hole.
May 17, 2013, 11:35 PM EDT
Pittsburgh now two wins away from advancing to conference final.
May 17, 2013, 11:08 PM EDT
Drastic reduction in ice time in Game 2 compared to Game 1.
May 17, 2013, 10:46 PM EDT
Continue the debate.
May 17, 2013, 10:17 PM EDT
Sid the Kid nets three.
May 17, 2013, 9:49 PM EDT
Ottawa hanging around in the third period.
May 17, 2013, 9:26 PM EDT
Played once in these playoffs.
May 17, 2013, 9:01 PM EDT
Pittsburgh up in Game 2, up in the series.
May 17, 2013, 8:07 PM EDT
He’s been out with a broken thumb.
May 17, 2013, 8:02 PM EDT
According to Sharks GM Doug Wilson.
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 2
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 2
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 24
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 6
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 38
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 90
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 10
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (90)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Watch live: Red Wings at Blackhawks
- Watch live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- LIVE: Third round of the HP Byron Nelson Championship
- LIVE: Pole Day of Indy 500 qualifying
- LIVE: Action from Hangtown Motocross Classic
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit