Sep 24, 2012, 8:44 PM EDT
The Oilers are continuing their bold stand to show the city of Edmonton they’re serious about moving the franchise if the city council doesn’t give them more money for a new downtown arena.
Bob Black, the Executive Vice President, Edmonton Arena Corporation, Katz Group issued a statement confirming the group’s meeting with people in Seattle tonight to “evaluate the market.” They also made it clear Seattle isn’t the only city taking an interest in the franchise.
“Nonetheless, and as the City of Edmonton is aware, the Katz Group has been listening to proposals from a number of potential NHL markets for some time. After more than four years of trying to secure an arena deal and with less than 24 months remaining on the Oilers’ lease at Rexall Place, this is only prudent and should come as no surprise.”
Let’s sum things up quick:
– Edmonton City Council pledges $200 million to help pay for a new downtown arena
– Katz tells the council he wants more money from them for the project and they refuse to give in
– Katz says the future of the franchise in Edmonton is in jeopardy without more money and refuses to meet again with the council
The actions from Katz are hostile, at best, and seemingly foolish given that the league is currently locking out its players. Katz might be wise to reevaluate how this whole situation looks.
Jun 19, 2013, 6:21 PM EDT
Tough timing for free agent Mason Raymond.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:50 PM EDT
37-year-old ‘tender ready to call it a career.
Jun 19, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
That’s a picture of Mike Komisarek.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
Pittsburgh’s Dan Bylsma considered to be a favorite for the position.
Jun 19, 2013, 4:44 PM EDT
Which could be why they end up swapping coaches.
Jun 19, 2013, 3:20 PM EDT
The players’ union and Board of Governors will vote near the end of the exhibition campaign.
Jun 19, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
Detroit could have quite the sports and entertainment district.
Jun 19, 2013, 2:43 PM EDT
His choice. Wasn’t required to go.
Jun 19, 2013, 2:39 PM EDT
Canada last hosted in 2012.
Jun 19, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT
“He’s forechecked, done well in the battles as far as trying to come up with the puck, all the things we ask him to do.”
Jun 19, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Trio was huge against L.A. in the Western Conference finals.
Jun 19, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
But let’s just wait and see for sure.
Jun 19, 2013, 12:36 PM EDT
Despite recent reports.
Jun 19, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
News and notes entering Wednesday’s Stanley Cup Final showdown — will Boston continue to stymie the power play?
Jun 19, 2013, 12:17 PM EDT
He spent all of last season with AHL Peoria.
Jun 19, 2013, 11:57 AM EDT
Meanwhile, the clock keeps ticking.
Jun 19, 2013, 11:35 AM EDT
GM David Poile might be the busiest man in hockey.
Jun 19, 2013, 11:27 AM EDT
Based on a couple of reports, the answer appears to be yes.
Jun 19, 2013, 11:17 AM EDT
“If you move up, there’s a chance to maybe get that better player.”
Jun 19, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
The duo spent the last three seasons together in Vancouver.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 54
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 20
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 21
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Serena Williams sorry after rape case comments