Sep 24, 2012, 3:32 PM EST
The NHL is waiting for the NHLPA to table a counter-proposal and reignite CBA talks, the league’s deputy commissioner, Bill Daly, said Monday in Toronto, as per the Canadian Press.
But when that occurs is anyone’s guess.
In fact, if that occurs is anyone’s guess, as the union has said it’s waiting for the NHL to move off its position first.
And so we keep playing the waiting game.
“Obviously, we’ve got to talk before you can get a deal.” Daly said, as per the National Post. “So I think it’s important to get the talks going again. But you also have to have something to say — and I think it’s fair to say we feel like we need to hear from the players’ association in a meaningful way, because I don’t think they’ve really moved off of their initial proposal, which was made more than a month ago.”
Daly’s comments followed a meeting between the league and the union to finalize last season’s hockey-related revenue.
The NHLPA has said it won’t negotiate any CBA that results in less salary paid out to the players for the 2012-13 season, and the NHL has said it won’t accept one that doesn’t.
The Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle thinks a compromise could be a salary freeze for Year 1 of the CBA, which in effect would be a loss for both sides.
Daly also said the NHL is “100 percent committed” to not missing any regular-season games.
And then Allan Walsh’s head exploded.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)