Sep 24, 2012, 3:32 PM EST
The NHL is waiting for the NHLPA to table a counter-proposal and reignite CBA talks, the league’s deputy commissioner, Bill Daly, said Monday in Toronto, as per the Canadian Press.
But when that occurs is anyone’s guess.
In fact, if that occurs is anyone’s guess, as the union has said it’s waiting for the NHL to move off its position first.
And so we keep playing the waiting game.
“Obviously, we’ve got to talk before you can get a deal.” Daly said, as per the National Post. “So I think it’s important to get the talks going again. But you also have to have something to say — and I think it’s fair to say we feel like we need to hear from the players’ association in a meaningful way, because I don’t think they’ve really moved off of their initial proposal, which was made more than a month ago.”
Daly’s comments followed a meeting between the league and the union to finalize last season’s hockey-related revenue.
The NHLPA has said it won’t negotiate any CBA that results in less salary paid out to the players for the 2012-13 season, and the NHL has said it won’t accept one that doesn’t.
The Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle thinks a compromise could be a salary freeze for Year 1 of the CBA, which in effect would be a loss for both sides.
Daly also said the NHL is “100 percent committed” to not missing any regular-season games.
And then Allan Walsh’s head exploded.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 24
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 10
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 48
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (48)
- Video: Malkin, Penguins win wild, controversial one over Leafs (40)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- ‘It’s like Groundhog Day’: Schneider frustrated about backing up Brodeur (35)