Sep 24, 2012, 3:32 PM EDT
The NHL is waiting for the NHLPA to table a counter-proposal and reignite CBA talks, the league’s deputy commissioner, Bill Daly, said Monday in Toronto, as per the Canadian Press.
But when that occurs is anyone’s guess.
In fact, if that occurs is anyone’s guess, as the union has said it’s waiting for the NHL to move off its position first.
And so we keep playing the waiting game.
“Obviously, we’ve got to talk before you can get a deal.” Daly said, as per the National Post. “So I think it’s important to get the talks going again. But you also have to have something to say — and I think it’s fair to say we feel like we need to hear from the players’ association in a meaningful way, because I don’t think they’ve really moved off of their initial proposal, which was made more than a month ago.”
Daly’s comments followed a meeting between the league and the union to finalize last season’s hockey-related revenue.
The NHLPA has said it won’t negotiate any CBA that results in less salary paid out to the players for the 2012-13 season, and the NHL has said it won’t accept one that doesn’t.
The Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle thinks a compromise could be a salary freeze for Year 1 of the CBA, which in effect would be a loss for both sides.
Daly also said the NHL is “100 percent committed” to not missing any regular-season games.
And then Allan Walsh’s head exploded.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)