Sep 24, 2012, 3:32 PM EDT
The NHL is waiting for the NHLPA to table a counter-proposal and reignite CBA talks, the league’s deputy commissioner, Bill Daly, said Monday in Toronto, as per the Canadian Press.
But when that occurs is anyone’s guess.
In fact, if that occurs is anyone’s guess, as the union has said it’s waiting for the NHL to move off its position first.
And so we keep playing the waiting game.
“Obviously, we’ve got to talk before you can get a deal.” Daly said, as per the National Post. “So I think it’s important to get the talks going again. But you also have to have something to say — and I think it’s fair to say we feel like we need to hear from the players’ association in a meaningful way, because I don’t think they’ve really moved off of their initial proposal, which was made more than a month ago.”
Daly’s comments followed a meeting between the league and the union to finalize last season’s hockey-related revenue.
The NHLPA has said it won’t negotiate any CBA that results in less salary paid out to the players for the 2012-13 season, and the NHL has said it won’t accept one that doesn’t.
The Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle thinks a compromise could be a salary freeze for Year 1 of the CBA, which in effect would be a loss for both sides.
Daly also said the NHL is “100 percent committed” to not missing any regular-season games.
And then Allan Walsh’s head exploded.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 12
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 23
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 0
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 55
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)