Sep 24, 2012, 3:32 PM EDT
The NHL is waiting for the NHLPA to table a counter-proposal and reignite CBA talks, the league’s deputy commissioner, Bill Daly, said Monday in Toronto, as per the Canadian Press.
But when that occurs is anyone’s guess.
In fact, if that occurs is anyone’s guess, as the union has said it’s waiting for the NHL to move off its position first.
And so we keep playing the waiting game.
“Obviously, we’ve got to talk before you can get a deal.” Daly said, as per the National Post. “So I think it’s important to get the talks going again. But you also have to have something to say — and I think it’s fair to say we feel like we need to hear from the players’ association in a meaningful way, because I don’t think they’ve really moved off of their initial proposal, which was made more than a month ago.”
Daly’s comments followed a meeting between the league and the union to finalize last season’s hockey-related revenue.
The NHLPA has said it won’t negotiate any CBA that results in less salary paid out to the players for the 2012-13 season, and the NHL has said it won’t accept one that doesn’t.
The Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle thinks a compromise could be a salary freeze for Year 1 of the CBA, which in effect would be a loss for both sides.
Daly also said the NHL is “100 percent committed” to not missing any regular-season games.
And then Allan Walsh’s head exploded.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)