Sep 24, 2012, 10:04 PM EDT
After days going by without any substantive talks between the NHL and NHLPA, it took an NHL Alumni event to put everyone in the same room together.
Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com reports NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman, NHLPA Executive Director Donald Fehr as well as Bill Daly and Steve Fehr got together tonight for an informal negotiating session at the NHL Alumni Gala Dinner in Toronto.
While an informal meeting was expected tonight, having all four of the major participants there was not. Perhaps everyone is getting serious about things.
Their goal? Simple: Get everyone back to the negotiating table to restart talks and try to prevent losing any regular season games.
Earlier in the day, Daly said they were waiting for the players’ union to come back with a counter-proposal to the league’s last offer. It’s unknown when the players will do just that, but given the two sides haven’t had any formal talks since the lockout began over a week ago, it’ll take some time.
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 5
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 9
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2