Sep 24, 2012, 10:04 PM EST
After days going by without any substantive talks between the NHL and NHLPA, it took an NHL Alumni event to put everyone in the same room together.
Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com reports NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman, NHLPA Executive Director Donald Fehr as well as Bill Daly and Steve Fehr got together tonight for an informal negotiating session at the NHL Alumni Gala Dinner in Toronto.
While an informal meeting was expected tonight, having all four of the major participants there was not. Perhaps everyone is getting serious about things.
Their goal? Simple: Get everyone back to the negotiating table to restart talks and try to prevent losing any regular season games.
Earlier in the day, Daly said they were waiting for the players’ union to come back with a counter-proposal to the league’s last offer. It’s unknown when the players will do just that, but given the two sides haven’t had any formal talks since the lockout began over a week ago, it’ll take some time.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 7
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 30
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 16
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 35
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32