Sep 24, 2012, 10:04 PM EDT
After days going by without any substantive talks between the NHL and NHLPA, it took an NHL Alumni event to put everyone in the same room together.
Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com reports NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman, NHLPA Executive Director Donald Fehr as well as Bill Daly and Steve Fehr got together tonight for an informal negotiating session at the NHL Alumni Gala Dinner in Toronto.
While an informal meeting was expected tonight, having all four of the major participants there was not. Perhaps everyone is getting serious about things.
Their goal? Simple: Get everyone back to the negotiating table to restart talks and try to prevent losing any regular season games.
Earlier in the day, Daly said they were waiting for the players’ union to come back with a counter-proposal to the league’s last offer. It’s unknown when the players will do just that, but given the two sides haven’t had any formal talks since the lockout began over a week ago, it’ll take some time.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 15
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 88
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 12
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 34
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (89)