Sep 24, 2012, 10:04 PM EDT
After days going by without any substantive talks between the NHL and NHLPA, it took an NHL Alumni event to put everyone in the same room together.
Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com reports NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman, NHLPA Executive Director Donald Fehr as well as Bill Daly and Steve Fehr got together tonight for an informal negotiating session at the NHL Alumni Gala Dinner in Toronto.
While an informal meeting was expected tonight, having all four of the major participants there was not. Perhaps everyone is getting serious about things.
Their goal? Simple: Get everyone back to the negotiating table to restart talks and try to prevent losing any regular season games.
Earlier in the day, Daly said they were waiting for the players’ union to come back with a counter-proposal to the league’s last offer. It’s unknown when the players will do just that, but given the two sides haven’t had any formal talks since the lockout began over a week ago, it’ll take some time.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 25
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)