Lucic: “I guess I must be Grade A prime beef”

Sep 24, 2012, 2:43 PM EST

Michael Komisarek; Milan Lucic; AP

Milan Lucic was remarkably diplomatic days after Red Wings executive Jimmy Devellano compared NHL players to “cattle” while at the same time suggesting Lucic should be “grateful” for signing a three-year, $18 million contract with the Boston Bruins.

“I guess I must be Grade A prime beef. I think we’re pretty good cattle if you’re looking at it that way,” Lucic told CSSNE.com Monday morning.

“You definitely as a person don’t like to be called ‘cattle.’ You’d think people would treat you better than as just an animal. Obviously he’s got his name on the Cup a lot of times. I’m not going to say anything to disrespect him. But he said what he said and I kind of laughed at it. It is what it is.

“He singled me out and I don’t know where or why he even singled me out. For me from an athlete’s perspective you look at him and what he’s done in his hockey career, and respect what he’s done for the game.”

Devellano’s comments have proven to be a PR nightmare for the NHL, which was already trailing the NHLPA badly in the fight for public support.

While it’s hard to disagree with Devellano’s assertion that the “players want for nothing…it’s first class this, first class that, meal allowances, travel money on the road, the whole shebang,” the rancher-cattle analogy only succeeded in putting the players squarely in the downtrodden category.

And we’re talking about players that are treated so well that it’s a story when they’re forced to do their own laundry.

1. tackledummy1505 - Sep 24, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I always thought of you as a ham or maybe some smoked hickory bacon. Moo it a long Lucic lol

• manchestermiracle - Sep 25, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Rump roast?

2. sunderlanding - Sep 24, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Why are people making a big deal over this? It’s called an analogy. They did after all compare themselves to a farm. At least cattle is alive.

3. johnwwt1976 - Sep 24, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I wonder what side you are on Jason?? Haha, good old non bias reporting!!

• Jason Brough - Sep 24, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Um, which side am I on?

4. solador78 - Sep 24, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Lucic is obviously just happy that Devellano knew who he was. Unlike Boston’s finest who couldn’t tell him apart from the other gf/wife beaters out there.

5. blomfeld - Sep 24, 2012 at 4:08 PM

“Moooooo” … !

Finally a refreshing comment coming from the herd. Compared to that other stupid cow Havlat, at least this cow is appreciative for his lot in life. The funniest thing is going to be when these Russian cows like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk coming crawling back, only to get their sorry asses branded with a “red hot” iron, out back behind the barn ! :) Good times !

6. johnwwt1976 - Sep 24, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Just read your last comment of the article your wrote!!! You obviously think the players are whinny little boys, all I want is non bias reporting please!!

• amerika1313 - Sep 25, 2012 at 7:27 AM

You know you can reply to his comment directly without posting a new comment right?

7. gekkoguy82 - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:02 PM

I’m not sure why some players are upset with Devallano’s analogy, other than it’s actually kind of accurate in a way. Devellano put himself in the cattle category as well, so why should any players be upset with him? Maybe I’m missing something, I don’t know. I don’t see why Devellano is wrong in saying that Lucic should be grateful, because I know I’d sure as heck be grateful making that kind of cheddar, even if I had NHL caliber talent and wanted some nice compensation. Or do Lucic and some of these other players not realize how blessed they are to play the game they love and make that kind of money, jet-setting around the country, while us beer leaguers have to pay 15 bucks a game to play on weeknights at 10pm and then be at our day job by 7am? I for one am grateful just to play, period. Getting paid to do so would be mind-blowing. I don’t know, maybe I’m way off base here, and have gone off on a crazy tangent. Sorry about my rambling. I’m just angry at the whole NHL in general right now.

• solador78 - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:49 PM

NHL owners should be grateful that regular working class people living paycheck to paycheck overpay for watered-down hockey, Delaware North’s dirty concessions and third world sweatshop-made merchandise.

Where’s my rollback on ticket prices?

8. jameswestphal - Sep 24, 2012 at 5:40 PM

This is how almost every wealthy individual views us. I work for an investment banker, and the disdain my clients show towards even having to speak to me is crazy. All I’m trying to do is make them more money! None of you care, but this just really struck me.

9. timmons94 - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Cattle. More like a cheap shot artist vastly overpaid

10. rawgator06 - Sep 24, 2012 at 7:59 PM

I am trying to figure out whether some of the first comments are from trolls or NHL plants

• blomfeld - Sep 24, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Oh yes, agent Blomfeld here at your service … I have one thing to say to you pal and it’s this … “baaaaaa … baaaaaa … baaaaaa”

*** translation from Sheep to English / use of a mirror is required in-order to read ***

“! nwolc uoy ssa ym ssik”

• amerika1313 - Sep 25, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Actually, no, reading it in a mirror wouldn’t work. You spelled it backwards, you didn’t write it backwards. And you might want to consider switching to decaf.

11. jaybyrd99 - Sep 24, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Did not devellano call himself cattle as well or did i miss something ? Did these guys-lucic and havlat- read the whole interview ? Personally i found it refreshingly honest and i’m guessing that’s why the fine was levied .

• solador78 - Sep 24, 2012 at 11:03 PM

I really enjoyed the part where he talked about season ticket holders.

• blomfeld - Sep 24, 2012 at 11:52 PM

well done friend ! :)

12. manchestermiracle - Sep 25, 2012 at 10:28 AM

One more bad thing about this lockout: I’m learning way more than I want to about some of the personalities in this league.

Next steps for the Oilers after Eakins